Proper Nutrition during the First Year of A Baby’s Life
In order for a child to grow up in a healthy way, proper nutrition is needed, especially during their first year of life.
The food that children receive during this stage is extremely important for their overall health and development. The problem is we often don’t know what they really need.
For example, drinking coffee while breastfeeding can harm a baby’s sleep. It’s important to consume these kinds of substances moderately.
There are many other important aspects that you should keep in mind regarding your diet during the first months of your baby’s life.
Proper nutrition in the first year of a baby’s life
As we all know, little ones need a fairly controlled diet mainly made up of breast milk until they’re developed enough to try need foods.
It’s important for parents to take into account how their baby’s nutrition should be in their first year of life.
From 0 to 6 months
During this stage of growth, breastfeeding will play a very important role since it provides all the nutrients the little one needs.
During this phase, doctors recommend that mothers take a least 10 micro-grams of vitamin D per day.
“While the infant is breastfeeding, there is no reason to give them additional liquids such as water.”
From 4 to 6 months
When the baby reaches the age of 4 months, experts recommend the introduction of a few solid foods. This should be done in a way that your pediatrician recommends.
The most important thing you can do during this phase is diversify their diet by adding fruits and vegetables.
From 6 to 8 months
When the baby reaches the age of 6 months, they can still carry on their diet of breast milk or formula. However, they should also receive solid foods such as fruits and vegetables.
If the baby accepts these foods without any problems, you can also integrate chicken, pasta and fish. Foods that are too difficult to be ingested by the baby can be shredded.
From 8 to 12 months
This is the stage when the baby can start to ingest a diverse diet. They also start adapting to eating three times a day.
You can include chicken, rice, vegetables, eggs and other sources of protein in their diet.
It’s important to keep in mind that during this phase, the child is still not allowed to consume cow’s milk. They can start to assimilate it after their first birthday.
Tips for feeding your baby during the first year
Many mothers don’t know that certain habits or foods can affect the baby while breastfeeding. Coffee, for example, can cause insomnia and difficulty for them to fall asleep.
That’s why it’s important for mothers to know what foods and habits can affect their baby’s health.
- While breastfeeding, the baby receives everything we consume. Therefore, mothers should avoid alcohol, coffee, wine, artichokes, cucumbers, peppers, cauliflower and medications that were not prescribed by their doctor.
- The baby should receive a lot of water, especially on hot days.
- Mothers should rest enough while they’re breastfeeding. Stress and fatigue can influence milk production.
- The baby should be fed in a calm environment that doesn’t generate stress. This will improve their digestion process.
Advantages of breastfeeding
It’ s very important that the baby receive breast milk for at least the first 6 months of life.
In addition to helping strengthen their immune system and preventing them from getting sick easily, breast milk has many other advantages. Here are a few of them:
- Breast milk helps to establish the baby’s appetite regulation.
- Breastfeeding reduces bleeding after delivery. It also helps the uterus return to its size before pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding helps mothers get back to their pre-pregnancy weight faster. This occurs because the fat that was stored during pregnancy turns into energy which is then used to produce milk.
- It strengthens the bond between mother and child.
Proper nutrition in the first year of a baby’s life allows them to grow up healthy and strong. It also favors their development.
It’s important for parents to be well informed about the foods their babies can’t ingest until a certain age. This way, you’ll help them establish a diet that doesn’t harm them.