Rice and Pasta Recipes for the Third Trimester of Pregnancy
Rice and pasta recipes are an excellent, healthy and nutritious option. There are plenty of ideas for pregnant women, perfect for the third trimester of pregnancy.
The final stretch of pregnancy requires especially good nutrition. During this stage, the mother needs greater energy and fuel. Rice and pasta recipes represent excellent choices. They’re satisfying, tasty, and easy to prepare.
In the last trimester of pregnancy, you’ll probably feel very tired and have certain pains due to the baby’s weight gain and movements. The baby’s brain develops in this last stage, as do its bones.
Therefore, it’s necessary to incorporate specific nutrients in greater quantities to accommodate the health of both mother and child. Professionals may advise vitamin supplements during pregnancy, but you should also be sure to consume plenty of vitamins through natural, high-quality foods.
In terms of quantity, nutritionists say that 350 additional calories should be consumed on top of the mother’s normal caloric intake. If the mother has a normal diet of 1,800 calories, during pregnancy that should increase to 2,150 calories.
However, no magic formulas exist. Everything depends on the Body Mass Index (BMI) and your doctor’s recommendations.
Nutrients and essential vitamins for the third trimester of pregnancy
- Omega 3 fatty acids: Necessary for the baby’s brain development, the circulatory system and the retina.
- Calcium: You should increase to about 400 milligrams per day to avoid suffering from a deficiency.
- Iodine: This is also important for the child’s brain, so supplements are often taken.
- Vitamin D: The body produces this vitamin when sunlight hits the skin. A few minutes per day are enough, in addition to consuming egg yolks.
MedlinePlus recommends eating breads, cookies and cereals made with whole grains. In addition, regarding dairy products, they point out that “consuming skim milk versus 1% or 2% will greatly reduce the amount of calories and fat you eat.”
Rice and pasta recipes for the third trimester of pregnancy
As a tip, remember to slow down and enjoy each meal. Chew your food well in order to improve digestion. Try not to abuse fat, and pay attention to fiber. Also remember to eat 5 pieces of fruit each day.
With that in mind, here are two rice and pasta recipes to enjoy during pregnancy:
Rice with curried cod
A tasty meal that provides carbohydrates, omega 3 fatty acids, and proteins.
- 5.5 ounces brown rice
- 7 ounces cod
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp curry
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Olive oil
- Pour a dollop of olive oil into a pan. Add the chopped pepper, onion and garlic. Sauté for about 8 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- Boil 2 cups of water and add the cubed cod. When the water comes back to a boil, cook for 1 minute and then remove from heat and take out the cod.
- Add rice, curry and turmeric to the vegetables. Mix for one minute and cover with the cod water.
- Let it cook for 18 minutes and then add in the cod.
Pasta salad with nuts and apple
This recipe is perfect if you want a light, fresh and easily digested dish.
- 7 ounces pasta spirals
- 4 apples
- 2 ounces shelled walnuts
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- Cook the pasta separately in salted water.
- In a bowl, combine the juice of 1 lemon and the peeled and cubed apples.
- Strain the pasta and pour it into a dish. Add the apples and nuts and sprinkle with olive oil and honey.
- Don’t forget to balance your meals. If you prepare a pasta salad for lunch, don’t eat carbohydrates again, but rather vegetables or protein.
- Each and every day, you must cover your needs for dairy products, fruits, vegetables, legumes, cereals and meats. Each of them provides something that babies need for their continuing development.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle. Good options include Pilates or swimming.
- Don’t eat raw meat or fish.
- Finally, remember that hydration is always a crucial aspect, but even more so at this stage because you’re caring for two people. Keep in mind the recommendation to drink at least 8 cups of water per day.
We hope you enjoy these rice and pasta recipes during your third trimester of pregnancy!