20 Original Children's Names and Their Meanings
Choosing your baby’s name can be very emotional and exciting. With so many options, how do you choose? We want to help you by giving you a list of original children’s names and their meanings.
Naming a child is a big responsibility. Knowing that the name you choose will most likely be with them forever makes it a stressful decision.
Everything would be easier if babies came with a name already assigned. However, it’s up to the parents to decide.
We know it’s difficult, so we want to give you some advice to help.
How to choose a name?
First off, keep in mind that choosing the name is up to the parents, even if you receive suggestions from the rest of the family.
Here are some tips you can use to choose your baby’s name.
- Keep in mind the importance of a person’s name. We are not our name – it doesn’t define us – but it belongs to us. Our name is something we’ll have for our whole life. We’re in charge of it and it’s part of our introduction. Take this into account when deciding.
- Don’t forget last names. They go together with the first name, so we should also like the combination. It should sound good. We recommend avoiding names that rhyme with the last name.
- Make lists. You and your partner should each make your own list, and then share names that you don’t like, like, and love. There will always be names that don’t even make it to consideration. Lists will help you narrow down the choices.
- Find out the meaning. One of the things that your child may like when they’re older is knowing the meaning of their name. Don’t forget to find out this piece of information and make sure you like the meaning.
“Your name is the mark of individuality. Your last name, social relationships.”
The process of choosing a name can be very fun. If the situation gets tense, stop and take a break.
This moment of deciding will be a memory for your whole life. To make the search a little easier, we’re sharing 20 original children’s names.
Original children’s names and their meanings
Although there are many options, we’ve compiled a list of 10 names for boys and 10 names for girls.
Be sure to look through as many names as you need to before finding the perfect one.
When you find the perfect name for your child, you should pay attention to its meaning.
- Dante: man of strong character. Latin name
- Dorian: gift. Greek origin.
- Ilan: tree. Hebrew name.
- Noah: long life. Hebrew origin.
- Oriel: eagle. Russian name.
- Orion: son of fire. Greek name.
- Roque: strong like a rock. Latin origin.
- Teo: God. Greek name.
- Tristan: one who brings sadness with them. Latin name.
- Urian: heaven. Greek origin.
- Ailen: light woman. Mapuche origin.
- Amira: princess. Arab origin.
- Bruna: breastplate. German name.
- Cara: loved. Italian name.
- Elda: woman who fights. German origin.
- Geneva: woman as white as foam. Celtic name.
- Indira: splendid. Hindu name.
- Iraide: the desired one. Basque name.
- Lea: lioness. Latin origin.
- Tafne: goddess of light. Egyptian origin.
- Traditional names. These are the most used or have their origins in the area or country where you live. Traditional names are always in style and can be a great option.
- Family names. When you want to continue the family history using the same name of a relative, a grandfather, mom, or dad. This option of repeating the name has a risk, in that you’ll always have to be specific about which family member you’re referring to.
- Famous names. Movies, books, or video games have a true wealth of names that you may love for your baby. Choose the one that you like and is meaningful for you, because you’ll have to explain to your baby where it came from.
At the end of the selection process, there will be one winner. This name will be more meaningful when you see your baby’s face.
When that happens, it will become the most important name in your lives.