The Importance of Family Life at Home
Family life at home will help children develop values that are fundamental to their development. It also strengthens the bonds among different family members .
The importance of spending time together as a family doesn’t just have to do with children. In one way or another, every family member learns and continues to develop essential values – including adults.
What does family life entail?
Family life can be defined as the space where a group of people with relationships that tie them to one another share daily life. Here, they converse about their worries, daily experiences and any other aspect that influences them.
Values that family life teaches
Family life at home contributes to the learning of a number of values to our daily development.
Below, we’ll provide a list of the most importance values so that you can be aware of the magnitude that a conversation, a word of encouragement, or a nice gesture can have when it comes to your family.
- Ease of expression with other people.
- The ability to listen to other people.
- Emotional security when it comes to expressing feelings.
- A sense of support and protection.
- Positive self-esteem when it comes to doing things.
The inclusion of cell phones at home
Cell phones, and more specifically the internet and social media, have come to almost every home in the world. Normally, each family member has his or her own phone. In some cases, they also have their own personal tablets or computers.
Therefore, to provide a good family life at home, we need to avoid being too dependent on our mobile devices. Sometimes this can be difficult because of work issues or family problems. However, we need to try to set our cell phones aside once we get home.
We need to be more conscious of what really matters and realize that we can find true life in those around us, and not our phone screens.
How can we promote a good family life at home?
If you want to promote a better life for your family at home, here are some suggestions. Below is a series of activities that you can do together as a family in order to spend time together having fun.
Eat meals together
The lives of each family member can be very distinct, and having different schedules can make it very hard to find time to spend together. While it may seem a bit complicated, you should try to establish breakfast, lunch or dinner as a time to share as a family.
Take advantage of this moment to tell one another about your day, express your opinions about current events or any other important issue you want to pass onto them.
Make cooking a family affair
You and your family can set aside a day of the week to cook together. For example, you can choose a time during the weekend. That way, your kids are home, and the adults in your house have more free time to carry out activities with the family.
This way, your little ones will take on a sense of responsibility regarding the tasks involved in meal preparation. At the same time, cooking as a family tightens bonds among family members and provides a space to converse and dialogue.
Cooking also contributes to children’s self-esteem if, once you finish eating, you congratulate them for a job well done. Also, tell your kids how proud you are of them for taking on such an important responsibility like preparing food for their family.
Watch television together
You can also choose a night of the week to gather in front of the TV and watch a television series or a movie as a family. To keep things fair and to teach everyone the value of respecting one another’s tastes, each week, a different member of the family should choose what you are going to watch .
Read a book
Reading is one of the most precious activities that a family can share together. From teaching little ones to read and helping them with their learning to reading your children a story at bed time…
All of these activities will encourage their interest in reading and create precious memories for you and your little ones .
A family that plays together stays together
Let your children know that even the adults in your home want to play and spend time together. There’s no better expression of love than dedicating time each day to play with your children.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Brenes, A. R. B. (2014). Convivencia en el contexto familiar: un aprendizaje para construir cultura de paz. Revista Electrónica” Actualidades Investigativas en Educación”, 14(1), 1-19. https://www.redalyc.org/pdf/447/44729876008.pdf
- Pérez, E. R., Tielbe, E. L., & Tamayo, A. L. G. (2008). Convivencia familiar: una lectura aproximativa desde elementos de la Psicología Social. Diversitas: perspectivas en psicología, 4(2), 427-441. https://www.redalyc.org/pdf/679/67940215.pdf
- Seguí, P. V., & Pérez, N. S. (2015). La participacion de las familias en el analisis y la transformacion de su realidad mediante un debate familiar sobre valores y convivencia. Universitas Psychologica, 14(1), 355-367.
- Vélez, M. D. C. D., & Blanco, D. M. L. (2018). Las relaciones de convivencia familiar y su impacto en la formación de valores de los adolescentes. Revista Pertinencia Académica. ISSN 2588-1019, (6), 133-150. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/234159534.pdf