General Characteristics of Millennial Parents
Millennial parents were born between the 80’s and 90’s. They’re also known as generation Y. We’ll discuss the common traits of their unique cultural identity in the following article.
In general, millennials are thoughtful people who value the right to express themselves. That’s why they live in hyperconnectivity (connected in real time) to the internet through various kinds of social media.
They’re also people who’ve lived through distinct technological breakthroughs and experiences. As a result, they’re capable of adapting to change efficiently.
They’re very interested in the latest technology.
Millennial parents also tend to be versatile and proactive people. They’re well connected to their social reality. This makes them reject misinformation and passivity.
General characteristics of millennial parents
- Their age group is considered to be between 25 and 30 years old.
- They usually have a university degree or some sort of technical training. Some of them might still be carrying out their studies.
- Millennials are interested in learning other languages.
- They’re well informed about their rights and duties as citizens.
- Many opt to work independently from home as freelancers. This allows them to organize and optimize their time in a better way.
- They’re very knowledgeable about popular culture and they enjoy series and movies based on current topics and events.
- They’re very interested in taking care of their health. Millennials exercise in order to keep themselves as active as possible.
- Millennials are well connected to their children through cellphone messages while they’re at school.
- They interact and share with their children through social media. This is especially true when they’re not in the same place.
- They aren’t scared when it comes time to work as good parents. They’re able to spend quality time with their children and loved ones.
Advantages of being a millennial parent
- Millennial parents value the importance of affective bonds and they know that every detail counts. They’re attentive and responsible.
- They aren’t afraid to explore new horizons. This allows them to enjoy more time with their children.
- Since they have excellent knowledge about technology, they’re able to look for information according to their needs. For example, if they need to know how to alleviate their baby’s stomach cramps, they simply look for that information online in order to find the best way to relieve their baby’s pain.
- Millennial parents are very stylish. This doesn’t necessarily mean they follow fashion. However, they do like for their things to look visually attractive.
- They also love taking selfies with their children. They do this in order to make digital albums or to share on different social media platforms.
- Millennials aren’t afraid to use applications such as calendars or notepads in order to remember important things or to write down a shopping list.
- When their children do homework that they’re not well informed on, they search on the internet to learn more about the topic. Once they feel prepared, they then proceed to help their children. And of course, this all happens quickly.
- Many millennial parents aren’t afraid to follow or to make new trends. This is true with little things such as painting their hair different colors or with more significant things such as choosing to live a minimalist lifestyle.
Recommendations for millennial parents
Use the internet appropriately. This is especially important in order to set a good example for children. This way they’ll protect their privacy and prevent many other problems.
Although technology is wonderful in many ways, it’s important to learn how to disconnect in order to spend some time without cellphones and other accessories.
To facilitate this disconnect, board games are recommended along with any other activity that doesn’t imply the use of technology.
Millennial parents enjoy sharing their experiences in forums, personal blogs, and other platforms. They’re usually looking to find out something new, or to share advice, anecdotes and experiences.
This exchange and search for information can be a very useful tool, but it can also be confusing and overwhelming.
That’s why it’s important to evaluate the quality of the content and to confirm the validity of the information by searching for various sources.