7 Tips to Take Artistic Pictures of Your Baby at Home
The arrival of a new family member is a historical moment worth documenting. We will give you 7 tips to take artistic pictures of your baby at home just like a professional photographer.
Although the attention that babies require will most likely not allow a lot of time for photography, do not miss out on moments that you can make with the use of your camera.
A picture is a memory that you will keep forever:
- Do not hesitate from taking numerous pictures of your baby. Although most of the pictures might look the same, you will eventually discover the changes your child goes through when looking back on pictures.
- Do not forget to keep the camera close by. By having your camera and a fully charged battery nearby, you will be able to take a lot more pictures than when you have the camera stored away. Babies constantly change their expressions, they move, smile and blink.
- Don’t be afraid of taking too many pictures, even though they look the same. Taking many pictures in a row can help you immortalize a “special” moment. If you only take one picture you might realize later on when you might see them on the computer that the picture is not what you expected.
If you want to save time and have an advantage, take a look at pictures online.
There are some pictures that are very impressive, try to find the ones that you like.
Be inspired by them and get different ideas about poses and angles.
“Which one of my photos is my favorite? The one I am going to take tomorrow” – Imogen Cunningham
7 tips to take artistic pictures of your baby
Babies are small and fragile
A special way of taking pictures is to focus on a certain detail. For example, a hand or a foot.
Allow yourself the luxury of taking many pictures, once you have taken many “classic” ones, you can focus on details of their body.
Using this method, you can take very interesting pictures and even make compositions or collages.
Try to take pictures of the baby by the window
If you are inside your house, take pictures in a way that light falls laterally on the baby’s face.
Lateral light is one of the most used resources when taking portraits. It allows for the emphasis of forms and reliefs.
You will just need to test the light conditions before taking these beautiful pictures.
Take photos from the baby’s height
Unless you want to let loose your creativity, come down to your baby’s level.
By taking a picture from this angle it will create a sensation of closeness and intimacy between the spectator and the little subject.
Try photos in black and white
Pictures taken of a baby in black and white are irresistible. If you don’t know how to process these type of pictures on your computer, you can set your camera to the black and white setting.
However, if you know how to process black and white pictures in Photoshop or any other photo editing program, you can try both methods and see which ones you like best.
Don’t let them get cold
If you are going to take a nude or semi-nude picture, imagine yourself in their shoes. Don’t let them get cold, regulate the heating in the house if need be.
Make them feel comfortable, this will make them happy and make taking excellent pictures easier.
Do not use flash
Flash will be your baby’s greatest enemy. It scares them and makes them cry uncontrollably. So please if you don’t want your photo-shoot to go wrong, turn off the flash.
Instead of flash you can use natural light.
Highlight the little protagonist
In order to make your baby the protagonist they deserve to be, a very effective technique is to use maximum focus which will make the background blurry.
What to do with pictures you have already taken?
After taking these amazing pictures of your baby, there are an infinite number of ideas you can use the pictures for.
These memories deserve something better than being a handful of pixels piled up in a folder on your computer.
Here are the best ideas:
- Make a collage
- Edit them
- Use them to make a puzzle
- Decorate you house with them
- Create a personalised mug
- Use them to tell a story
- Create postcards
- Create a personalised calendar
- Print out the pictures
- Make them the home screen of your phone or tablet
- Covert them into stickers.