2 Ice Cream Cake Recipes to Make with Children
Making ice cream cake with children can be a great way to have fun in the kitchen and to introduce the little ones to ice cream. Normally, it’s very entertaining to prepare sweets that can be consumed later. Even more so when we talk about ice cream cakes in the summer season, as they have a refreshing touch.
However, you should always be moderate with the intake of dishes that have a considerable amount of simple sugars. Having said all this… Let’s get cooking!
1. Blueberry ice cream cake
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of ground almonds
- 1 Tbsp. of sifted flour
- 6 ounces of fresh blueberries
- 2 cups of drained natural yogurt
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- Drain the yogurt well.
- Prepare a puree with the blueberries and mix them with the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Pass the result through a potato masher and let it cool.
- Mix the yogurt with the blueberry puree and put it in the freezer.
- Prepare some almond meringue discs while heating the oven to 280 degrees.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff with a touch of salt.
- Place the flour and the almonds on top.
- Stir with enveloping movements until you get a homogeneous result.
- Put everything in a piping bag and place portions on a baking sheet. Bake the sheets for half an hour and leave to dry with the oven off for another 15 minutes.
- Place a portion of the ice cream on a plate and place a meringue disk on top, ready to serve!
Why prepare this recipe for children?
Blueberries are a source of phytochemicals with antioxidant capacity. These elements neutralize the formation of free radicals and their subsequent accumulation in the body’s tissues. Specifically, the anthocyanins contained in blueberries help prevent the development of chronic and complex diseases, so it’s a good idea to include these edibles in the diet on a frequent basis.
2. Vanilla and strawberry cupcakes
- 1 cup of graham cracker cookies
- 4 vanilla-flavored yogurts
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup of strawberries
Step by step
- Divide the cookies into individual cups as a base.
- Mix the yogurt with the ice cream in a bowl.
- Divide the mixture into the cups. Don’t pour it all at once, but first pour in half, then a layer of sliced strawberries, and then pour in the other half.
- Decorate with strawberries on top and refrigerate for a few hours.
Why make this recipe for kids?
Strawberries are a source of vitamin C, a key nutrient for boosting immune function, as evidenced by research published in Nutrients. It’s vital to maintain the levels of this element in adequate ranges to reduce the incidence of many infectious diseases, especially those affecting the upper airways.
Prepare ice cream cake recipes to make with children
As you’ve seen, there are different options for ice cream cake recipes that can be made with children to enjoy in the kitchen. They’re excellent desserts to consume during hot periods, as they’re very refreshing. However, we mustn’t forget that the best options for everyday use are fruit and natural yogurts.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Kalt, W., Cassidy, A., Howard, L. R., Krikorian, R., Stull, A. J., Tremblay, F., & Zamora-Ros, R. (2020). Recent Research on the Health Benefits of Blueberries and Their Anthocyanins. Advances in nutrition (Bethesda, Md.), 11(2), 224–236. https://doi.org/10.1093/advances/nmz065
- Carr, A. C., & Maggini, S. (2017). Vitamin C and Immune Function. Nutrients, 9(11), 1211. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9111211