Basic Guide for First-Time Moms
If you are going to be a first-time mom, you should keep certain details in mind that can help you have a smooth experience during pregnancy and birth.
The more we can do in advance, the more long-term benefits we will experience.
We want to share some basic tips to help you reduce anxiety that comes from general expectations and all the preparations you have to do for your baby’s arrival,
You will discover that being a first-time mom is not an impossible mission.
Becoming a first-time mom
When a woman is going to become a mother for the first time, it is normal to be nervous. The preparations that should be handled prior to the baby’s arrival in the home can vary.
It can be very overwhelming. That’s why we created this Basic guide for first-time moms.
Don’t worry, once you take care of the basics, the rest will be super easy. There are a few main topics that are difficult to ignore.
Preparing for delivery
- Prepare and freeze food. Take the time to prepare different foods for the first week. This is a good strategy that you can use for the first few days, which are all about adjustment. Some great options include:
- purees and yogurts
- fruits (washed)
- salads (without dressing)
- fresh vegetables (washed)
- Have clothing ready for your baby
As a first-time mom, you have probably acquired various articles of clothing for your baby. If you haven’t already, obtain adequate clothing for babies from 0-6 months of age. Why? Keep in mind that babies grow quickly. On the other hand, some babies are born larger than others. Of course, the new clothing should be washed and put away, preferably in plastic bags. You should do the same with sheets, towels, cloth diapers, stuffed animals, and everything that will come into direct contact with the baby.
- Gather the baby’s basic personal care and hygiene products.
– Formula and bottles. In case you don’t breastfeed your baby, these two items will be necessary the first few days.
– Diapers. In the first few days, you will need 8 to 12 diapers. However, don’t buy too many because the baby will grow quickly and within the first few days you will need a different size.
– Personal hygiene items for your baby. Baby shampoo, wet wipes, soaps, baby powders, nail clippers, lotion or cream, washcloth, etc.
– Cream for irritations and/or chafing. Occasionally diapers can cause small abrasions on your baby’s skin. They are very easy to sanitize with the right cream. Try to always have it on hand.
– Diaper bag. This is an indispensable article that you will need from the moment your baby emerges. It will contain all of the basics that can’t fit in your purse. We recommend choosing a diaper bag that fits all the basic items and is made of an easy-to-clean material.
- Ask for help when you need it. We know that we often want to do things by ourselves. However, a little help goes a long way, especially as a new mother.
- Be honest with yourself. Learn to recognize your limits. Remember that your baby depends on you and it is important for you to be healthy in all ways, in order to be able to provide for all of their needs. It is also important not to neglect yourself, but instead take care of yourself and your little one.
- Take advantage each time your baby is sleeping and sleep. Often you may want to do things other than rest, but remember that it is important to give rest a priority. A good sleep will help a lot on a daily basis. In this way, you can stay active while your baby is awake and needs you.
- Try to always keep a balance. Don’t try to juggle everything. This is a long-distance race, not a sprint.
- Blow off steam whenever you need to.
Remember that the most important thing is for you to physically recover. We know this can be difficult in the first few days but it is important to stay as fresh as you can.
As time passes, this small routine for both of you will become normal and your bond will become stronger.