Why It's Important to Maintain Your Daily Routine During Quarantine
The world is suffering the attack of a pandemic due to the outbreak of an infectious illness, COVID-19, caused by a virus we all know as coronavirus. Battling this virus has forced us not only to restructure our lives but also our priority and the needs of others.
One of the things we need to do in order to overcome these circumstances is to stay in quarantine. By remaining indoors, we can help to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
In this sense, it’s very important to try to stick to our everyday schedules as much as possible… Even though we need to redefine daily life and we have much more free time than ever before.
Maintaining certain routines and behaviors from our normal day-to-day lives will help us to cope better with our current reality. Following our daily routine during quarantine is fundamental when it comes to keeping things organized, calm, and harmonious.
What are routines? And daily routines?
Routines refer to the habits and customs that we acquire as a result of repeating the same tasks or activities several times. Therefore, routines are habits that, with the passing of time, become automatic. They’re also associated, for the most part, with specific procedures and times of the day.
A daily routine consists of all of the behaviors and conducts that we carry out in our day-to-day lives… from the time we get up until the time we go to bed. They’re habits related to mealtimes, personal hygiene, resting, etc. They also include times for working, cleaning the house, getting groceries, etc.
Our daily routines also involve habits like the type of food we eat, leisure activities, homework, and learning.
The benefits of routines
It’s important for adults to maintain certain daily routines and to teach them to their children from an early age. The benefits of routines – for children and adults – include the following:
- Routines are based on structure and organization and, therefore, help us predict and prepare for different events. So, routines allow us to have more control over our environment.
- By achieving more control over our environment, routines offer us more security and confidence.
- When various individuals live and interact within the same environment, routines help to minimize stress, tension, and negativity.
Why is it good to maintain your daily routine during quarantine?
As we’ve already demonstrated, establishing and keeping a daily routine offers important benefits. What’s more, during this time of confinement as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, routines become even more essential.
Below are the reasons and benefits when it comes to sticking to your daily routine during quarantine.
- Establishing and sticking to certain schedules, like waking up, going to bed, and mealtimes, helps your family stay organized. This way, your entire family can share meals together and get the rest they need.
- It’s also positive to establish certain times of day for connecting to the internet and using social media. It’s not a good idea to be on your phone or your computer all the time. Spending long hours in front of a screen isn’t just bad for your eyesight, it also raises your anxiety levels.
- In families with children, it’s especially important to maintain your daily routine during quarantine because it contributes to proper development. Children shouldn’t lose the habit of doing homework each day, having fun, eating at certain times, and going to bed on time.
- We know it’s important not to go anywhere and, of course, no one’s coming over to visit. But that doesn’t mean we should abandon our personal hygiene or the cleanliness of our homes. Take a shower every day, change out of your pajamas and get dressed, brush your teeth and comb your hair, etc. What’s more, sweep and vacuum, put toys away, and tidy up on a daily basis. The sum of all these small actions will improve your overall mood.
- It’s also a good idea to plan and control leisure time as well. This will help keep these moments from interfering with other aspects of your daily routine, like cleaning the house, preparing meals, resting, working, studying, etc. So, we suggest setting aside specific times for reading, doing crafts, watching TV, etc. And speaking of which, be careful not to gorge on television series!
Maintaining your daily routine in times of coronavirus is a blessing
It’s more than evident that the current lockdown situation has given us the gift of lots of free time. And it’s not wrong for us to use this time to rest, become bored, and watch more movies than ever before.
Just the same, at all costs, we need to keep this current period of confinement from allowing us to lose the notion of time. This is dangerous because it can cause us to feel restless, negative, and depressed.
One helpful piece of advice in regard to your daily routine during quarantine is to plan each day around different tasks or obligations. In other words, keeping up with household tasks like cleaning and picking up. Then, taking care of work and school obligations. And finally, tending to social relationships or, in other words, staying in touch with friends and family.
During these complicated times we’re experiencing, it’s important to stay active, entertained, alert, and optimistic. And this is possible if we organize our days around schedules, activities, and tasks. Don’t put anything off until tomorrow… In other words, take care of yourself and stick firmly to your daily routine.It might interest you...