9 Wonderful Quotes About Education
Education is one of the basic pillars on which society is based, although sometimes it’s not valued as it should be. For this reason, in this article, we’ve made a selection of quotes about education by educators, politicians, and writers.
On December 1, 1948, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was proclaimed in Paris in the context of the General Assembly of the United Nations. It includes all the rights we have as human beings and education is one of the most basic.
For a society to function properly, it’s important that its members are well educated. Therefore, we leave you these famous phrases to instill in children the importance of education and respect for those who teach us. Take note!
Education, a key pillar of society
There are many benefits that come from a society that is based on education. These include greater social inclusion, critical thinking, respect for all people, lower infant mortality rates, and greater tolerance among equals.
As stated in Article 13 of the Declaration of Human Rights, everyone has the right to receive an education.
“(…) education shall enable all persons to participate effectively in a free society, promote understanding, tolerance, and friendship among all nations and among all racial, ethnic, or religious groups, and further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace”.
This is why all States must guarantee a good education for their citizens through programs and cultural resources suitable for all. They must also ensure that no group is deprived of the right to study. Despite the fact that education is a basic right, there are countries in which children don’t go to school due to a lack of resources.
Quotes about education that you’ll love
There are phrases from famous people that are a true tribute to education. They’re also perfect to help children internalize the value of enjoying this right.
1. “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn”
This is a quote from politician Benjamin Franklin, former president of the United States. When you tell a child something, they may forget it. If you teach it to them, they may remember it, but if you involve them in that learning, they’ll treasure it forever.
2. “A teacher is a compass that activates the magnets of curiosity knowledge and wisdom in the pupils“.
Ever Garrison, author and teacher, used this phrase to give teachers the value they deserve. They’re the ones who can guide students to be curious, to want to learn, and, in the end, to know.
3. “To travel far, there is no better ship than a book”
This phrase was uttered by poet Emily Dickinson and is perfect for children to learn the importance of books for education.
4. “What is done to children, they will do to society”
American psychiatrist Karl A. Menninger said this very meaningful phrase. Children with a good education will make society and the world a better place.
5. “Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself”
From the philosopher John Dewey, we highlight this phrase that represents the importance of education as a survival tool for life.
6. “Education helps a person to learn to be what he is capable of being”
This is a phrase from the Ancient Greek poet Hesiod. It can’t be summed up any better, because education helps us all to reach our best version. Keep this in mind to pass it on to your children.
7. “Teaching that impacts is not head to head”
From Professor Howard G. Hendricks, we take one of the best phrases about education. Its message is simple: To educate, we must reach out with the heart.
8. “In matters of culture and knowledge, you only lose what you keep; you only gain what you give.
This phrase belongs to the writer Antonio Machado and we loved it. What about you?
9. “The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
We end with this phrase from Clive Staples Lewis, a British professor and novelist of great renown in this nation.
Regarding these quotes about education, we can say…
You already have some of the quotes about education that you can tell your children so that they learn the importance of this right for their life and for society. Sometimes we don’t give it all the importance it has, but without education, nothing would work properly and we would all be lost.
Don’t hesitate to repeat some of these phrases to your children so that they internalize them and value their teachers more. Together we can make the world a better place, and education is fundamental to achieving it.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Nicoletti, J. (2009). La educación como derecho universal. EDUCATIO Revista Regional de Investigación Educativa, 7, 73-85. En internet: http://www.educacion.ugto.mx/educatio/PDFs/educatio7/Nicoletti.pdf
- Fernández, A. (2004). La educación como derecho cultural. Persona & Derecho, 50, 259. En internet: https://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/persodcho50&div=12&id=&page=
- Torres, M. L. M. (2015). La educación como derecho en los tratados internacionales: Una lectura desde la educación inclusiva. Revista de Paz y Conflictos, 8(2), 243-265. En internet: https://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/articulo?codigo=5307824