Here are five fantastic recipes to make with your children at home. Doing them together is an activity that really strengthens the parent-child bond.
Cooking together is a special time because children aren’t mere observers; they are involved in a creative process. Even though it requires order and discipline, it can be very fun and stimulating.
Learning to cook at an early age helps children acquire skills that will be useful for their lives. When you make recipes with your children, you get the following benefits:
- The ability to follow instructions is developed.
- The child’s attention levels improve.
- Children better understand what it means to achieve a goal and the process required to reach it.
- You learn habits of tidiness and cleanliness.
Practical and delicious recipes to make with children
Strawberry ice cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of milk cream
- 2/3 cup pureed strawberries
- Make a puree from the strawberries. To do this you have to wash them, cut them into pieces and crush them. You can choose to make a creamy puree or to make it rustic. Experiment with the different textures.
- Next, you have to mix the strawberries with the cold cream and sugar in a large bowl. With the help of a blender, mix the ingredients until a soft mixture is formed. Perform this procedure until you achieve a consistent texture.
- Finally, cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge for 4 hours.
- 500 gr. of sponge cake
- 5 tablespoons of dulce de leche
- 100 gr. of butter
- 100 gr. of chocolate
- 200 gr. of grated coconut
- Crumble the cake by hand until it’s all crumbs. The cake can be of any flavor.
- Then add the chocolate, melted previously with the butter. Then, add the 5 tablespoons of dulce de leche.
- All the ingredients must be mixed together to form a paste. During mixing, dried fruits or chocolate chips can be added.
- Take small portions of this mixture and make small balls with your hands, whatever size the child wants.
- After this, put them in the fridge. After 2 hours they will be ready to eat.
Tutti frutti jello
- 1 can of condensed milk
- 1 cup of tutti frutti
- 1/2 cup of water
- 8 gr. of 1 sachet of unflavored jello
- Mix the condensed milk with the cup of tutti frutti in water previously heated 50 seconds in the microwave.
- When it’s properly mixed, pour it into small containers. Put in the refrigerator for an hour or until they are firm.
- If you want more pronounced flavors you can add some fruit juice.
- 1 cup of flour
- 100 gr. of butter
- 2 eggs
- 50 gr. of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- Mix the ingredients and form a dough. Shape the dough into a ball, and store it in the fridge for 1 hour. After that, remove the dough and knead with a rolling pin.
- Put flour on your work surface to prevent sticking when you’re kneading it.
- Knead until it’s 1 centimeter thick. Make different shapes using cookie molds. Place them in a dish covered with parchment paper.
- Brush each cookie with egg and sprinkle powdered sugar before baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes at approximately 200 degrees Celsius. When finished, let them cool.
Note: the powdered sugar can be made at home by mixing sugar and cornstarch, beating it at speed and then sieving it.
- 4 apples
- 1 cup of dried apricots
- 1 cup of apricot juice (can also be peach)
- 4 tablespoons full of chopped almonds
- 1 large spoonful of sugar
- The day before, cut the dried apricots into small pieces and let them soak in the apricot juice overnight.
- On the day, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Wash the apples and take out the core, leaving a hole. Drain the dried apricots, mix with the almonds and sugar.
- Place the mixture in the hollow of the apples. Make tiny holes in the skin of the apples several times with a knife or something pointed.
- Put the apples in the oven for about 30 minutes (decrease or increase the time depending on the size of the apples).
- Serve with a portion of ice cream.
Don’t think twice about it. If you want to do something different with your children, discover the benefits of these and other fantastic recipes which you can make together. You’ll be spending time with your family in the best possible way.