Are There Any Health Benefits of Marriage?
Is it good to get married or is it better to stay single? Life as a couple has many benefits, and they've been scientifically proven. Lowering your risk of heart disease is just one of those benefits.
Did you know that there are actual health benefits of marriage? Getting married isn’t only good for a couple’s emotional well-being, it’s also beneficial for our individual health.
Married couples, in general, have less risk of heart disease.
Health benefits of marriage
Although it may be surprising, getting married can be beneficial for a couple’s health. Each year, cardiovascular diseases are responsible for many deaths around the world.
According to experts, marriage reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. Why is marriage beneficial for our health?
Analysis and statistics
In statistical terms, 80% of cases of heart disease are related to risk factors such as sex, cholesterol levels, blood pressure, smoking, and diabetes, among others. Before publishing their results, the researches sought to determine what factors influenced the remaining 20%.
To answer this question, the researchers had over two million people between the ages of 42 and 77 from different places such as Scandinavia, Europe, North America, Asia, and the Middle East take a series of surveys.
The different results have shown that after comparing people who were married to those who weren’t married, that is, who were single, divorced or widowed, the latter had a greater predisposition and risk of developing cardiovascular diseases.
It’s a novel finding for the world. Getting married can significantly lower your chances of developing heart disease, stroke and other risks that can lead to death.
The final results allowed scientists and experts to determine that marital status can and should be included as a risk factor for heart disease.
Health benefits of marriage
The extent to which marriage influences health is incredible. Undoubtedly, it can be excellent for the heart’s health; as we’ve seen, getting married significantly reduces the possibility of cardiovascular diseases.
Perhaps, the main benefit of marriage is the social support it offers. Being accompanied is very healthy for those who tend to feel loneliness, are introverted or have some psychological imbalance.
In other words, marriage can not only help prevent diseases from developing in healthy people but it also decreases the chances of death in those who suffer from heart-related issues. In conclusion, marital protection offers greater stability to people’s health.
Being accompanied is very healthy for those who tend to feel loneliness, are introverted or have some psychological imbalance
Marriage is equivalent to several health benefits
Many people wonder what the health benefits of marriage are. Well, firstly, observations showed that unmarried people have higher levels of cholesterol and a higher incidence of hypertension and heart failure.
In summary, these are some of the benefits of being married or living with your partner:
- It reduces the risk of catching sexually transmitted diseases. It’s logical to think that the more sexual partners you have, the more likely you are to get an STD.
- You have help and mutual care. When one of the spouses gets sick and needs help with food, medicines, etc., being married has its advantages. For couples who don’t live together, mutual help is less simple.
- Reduces our stress levels. Life as a couple tends to be more orderly, more harmonious. Once married, our mind is more relaxed which allows us to lead a more balanced lifestyle. Although it may seem, on occasion, that the couple’s arguments are stressful, there is actually more vital balance.
- Tolerance and respect for others. Life as a couple helps us develop tolerance and respect for others. In doing so, we learn social values, and our body becomes healthier.
- Making plans as a couple. Having dreams is what drives us, and without them, there is only monotony and risk of depression. It’s very positive for the couple to plan trips together, weekend getaways, etc. Even if there are children, you can still find the time to do things as a couple.
Although marriage can sometimes be difficult, the reality is that life as a couple brings more balance to our lives. By merely sharing and involving ourselves with our partner, we already learn values that fulfill our lives.