Pros and Cons of Drinking Green Tea During Pregnancy
There’s always been doubts regarding drinking green tea during pregnancy, especially because green tea has caffeine. As caffeine is very risky during pregnancy, it’s recommended that women restrain from consuming it.
Pros and cons of drinking green tea during pregnancy
Drinking caffeine in large amounts during pregnancy is risky for the baby. Thus, when you drink green tea, it should be between 25 and 50 mg per cup. This will also depend on the time you leave the tea in the cup. Besides, you should always talk to your doctor first.
It’s true that green tea has more cons than pros during pregnancy due to its high levels of caffeine, which could harm the baby.
Cons of drinking green tea during pregnancy
- Drinking high amounts of green tea during pregnancy is related to babies born with defects in the neural tube, such as spina bifida. This happens because green tea makes it harder to absorb folic acid, an important element of the first 12 weeks.
- It can make non-heme iron absorption difficult, which can be a problem if the mother is vegetarian or has anemia.
- Caffeine is a stimulant. This mainly happens by the end of the pregnancy, when mothers have trouble sleeping.
- Taking more of the recommended quantities can cause a spontaneous abortion.
Pros of drinking green tea during pregnancy
- Green tea has polyphenols which helps prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- It also has antioxidants, that slow down cellular aging.
- It protects you against some diseases, such as diabetes.
- Drinking green tea helps you drink a lot of water. This helps the mother with the typical discomforts of pregnancy, such as constipation, headaches, among others.
Teas that aren’t recommend during pregnancy
Some teas are usually worse to drink than others during pregnancy. Usually, this type of beverage is known for its many health benefits but, during pregnancy, caffeine can be a dangerous thing to a baby. Thus, here are a few teas you shouldn’t drink while pregnant:
This tea contains thujone. It can stimulate the uterus and cause spontaneous abortions, as well as high blood pressure.
Although this kind of tea is known for helping people to sleep, it can be harmful during pregnancy. In case you’re drinking valerian tea, talk to your doctor about it.
This tea has many benefits for the human body, even during pregnancy, because it helps fight insomnia, nausea and stomach aches. Still, it can cause cardiovascular issues to the baby.
Eucalyptus can be great for respiratory issues but, during pregnancy, it’s better to avoid it because it can cause nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting.
Drinking large amounts of parsley tea can be harmful during pregnancy. This can affect the baby’s development, even causing miscarriages.
Rhubarb is a plant that stimulates the muscles of organs, such as the stomach, the liver, and the intestines. It can also cause contractions and miscarriages. This is one of the most dangerous teas to drink during pregnancy.
Another of the most dangerous teas to drink during pregnancy is peppermint tea. Drinking it could cause deformations in the baby.
Green tea has many benefits for your mind and body but, because it contains caffeine, it can be harmful during pregnancy. It’s recommended to drink small amounts and talk to your doctor before you do.
Effects of caffeine in the baby during breastfeeding
Many mothers enjoy drinking coffee during the day, but they don’t know or understand the harmful effects of caffeine in the baby. If you’d like to continue drinking coffee, speak to your doctor about this topic and the best way to do so.It might interest you...