Mini Cots or Bassinets for Newborn Babies?
When we’re getting everything ready for a baby’s arrival, we may get a little overwhelmed about what items to buy. There are so many pieces of furniture and accessories that have the same objective. In this article, we’ll help you figure out which one’s best for your baby: mini cots or bassinets.
Both of them have mixed reviews. It may be hard deciding between the two, but if you want to save money, it’s best that you do your research and pick the one you like the most.
If you learn about their advantages and disadvantages, you’ll have a clearer idea of what you want and need.
Differences between mini cots, small cribs and bassinets for newborn babies
The selection of these items will depend on your budget, needs, characteristics you’re looking for, and the space you have. The most notable differences between them are the following:
When it comes to stability, mini cots are definitely better. They’re undoubtedly more stable than bassinets. This is due to the variety in the legs: some are fixed and some have wheels, whereas bassinets can turn over pretty easily when leaning abruptly on it.
Bassinets aren’t recommended for families who have other children at home or dogs since they could accidentally trip on it and injure the baby. However, if you do decide to go with a bassinet, look for one with stable legs as an additional accessory.
Wooden mini cots are more recommended than metallic mini cots because they’re much safer. This is a crucial aspect when choosing between mini cots or bassinets for newborn babies.
See also: Cribs Frequent Cause Of Injury for Babies Toddlers
In this aspect, mini cots are larger than bassinets despite being “mini.” In addition, they’re better in terms of security because they have greater depth. If you have other children at home, there’s no risk of knocking the baby down from the crib.
According to the space of the baby’s room, this can be an advantage or a disadvantage. If it’s a small room, a bassinet would be your best option. In fact, some mothers think that the depth of mini cots can be somewhat uncomfortable to place the baby and remove the baby.
Mini cots and their characteristics
Mini cots are, as the name suggests, smaller than traditional cots. It’s usual for mothers to consider them as their first, temporary option. Find out all their benefits:
- Practical size makes the newborn feel comfortable while sleeping. It’s a piece of furniture that fits perfectly in any place, like the parents’ bedroom during the first days of birth, for example.
- Guardrails and protective edges prevent other children from approaching the baby and, additionally, they allow you to see the baby from a distance.
- A temporary accessory, meaning that when the baby has gained more weight or has gotten bigger in size, you should look for something larger.
- Come with many protectors which will prevent the baby from harming himself.
- There are many very practical models that come with a built-in changer and even drawers to store toys or clothes.
Bassinets and their characteristics
A fun fact about bassinets is that they’re also called “Moses.” This refers to the biblical character Moses, who has carried in a wicker basket. Here are their best features:
- Moving the baby from one place to another is very easy and convenient because of their resistant handles.
- Due to their small size, babies feel comfortable during the first days of birth, especially if you give them some small pillows to cuddle with while sleeping.
- For better support and easier transfer, some models allow you to add legs to it so you can easily move it inside the house.
- Their folding function makes them very travel-friendly, which allows the baby to sleep in it at all times instead of in unknown places.
- More affordable than a small crib.
- There are many designs available to choose from, depending on the family’s tastes and styles when it comes to the baby’s room.
Mini cots or bassinets for newborn babies: which one should you pick?
After having evaluated both of their characteristics, it’s time for you to see them for yourself. Evaluate which one you like the most and the one you feel is most convenient depending on their features.
Make sure you check their differences very thoroughly, such as the weight of the bassinet. Will you be able to transfer it from one place to another even with the weight of the baby? Will you be able to roll the mini cot around without a problem?
Another very important thing to add is that, regardless of the one you choose, you should buy an anti-choke mattress.
Always keep in mind that you should buy a product that’s comfortable for your baby and that’s practical for you.
Choosing between mini cots or bassinets for newborn babies can take a while, but in the end, the most important thing is that you make the right decision.