The Best Example for Children Is at Home
By human nature, children observe what they see their parents doing and saying. Their curious eyes learn from these actions. Be sure to be a good mirror for them to reflect on, because the best example for children is the one they learn at home.
Without a doubt, the example you give to your children is worth a thousand words. Your little ones look at everything you do. They judge you by your actions and draw their own conclusions.
Generally, children love and admire their parents. Therefore, you’re the mirror in which they wish to be reflected.
If you experience sadness, it will also be their sadness. Your emotions, self-esteem, and behavior will also be transmitted to them.
What parents say versus their actions
Children quickly realize when their parents don’t always practice what they preach. For example, they may wonder critically: “Why does my mother tell me not to scream if she screams afterward?” “Why does she tell me not to leave the water faucet open if she later leaves it open while she cooks?”
When your children want to recriminate you for one of your faults, don’t repress them. On the contrary, show them that you fight against your own mistakes and weaknesses.
Children require your love, affection, support, understanding, and guidance. They need to be heard, but they especially need examples to follow.
They need to find coherence between what you preach and what you do. That way, they can adopt the teachings they receive from their parents as their own.
Infants interact with the world and shape it by the answers they find to their questions. That is, if you require your children to be neat, you must show them that you’re neat.
Moreover, if you ask them not to say swear words, you shouldn’t say them either. Values aren’t only taught or explained, they must be supported by their parents’ examples and experiences.
Through their parents’ behavior, children will learn what it is to feel joy and what is common sense. They’ll learn to have self-control as well, among other things.
It’s worth mentioning that parents aren’t the only family members that influence children’s education and behavior. Grandparents, uncles, cousins, or friends who share their daily life with the children will also directly influence their behavior.
The best example for children is at home: suggestions to follow
It’s a popular notion that values are taught at home and knowledge is obtained at school. However, education falls on everyone’s hands.
In order for parents to feel proud of saying that the best example for children is at home, we recommend following these tips:
- If you don’t want your children to communicate with others through shouting, don’t yell at them. Also, if you expect your children to be interested in reading, read with and to them. Let them watch you read.
- To prevent them from blackmailing others or coercing them, under no circumstances should you extort them.
“Children love and admire their parents very much. Therefore, you’re the mirror in which they wish to be reflected.”
- Do you want your little one to be honest? Don’t tell lies for any reason.
- If you want your children to enjoy food and be encouraged to try different types of food, don’t force them to eat what you want and respect their own pace.
- For them to have their own personality and tastes, don’t impose yours.
- If you don’t want your children to be prejudiced against other people’s values, don’t judge them.
- You don’t want them to hit you or others? Avoid acting violently towards them.
- Do you want your children to trust you in any circumstance of their lives? Show that you trust them.
- To make sure your children aren’t people full of fears, don’t educate them with fears and threats.
You should definitely take into account that everything you say and do will directly influence your children’s behavior. They will repeat everything they see you do. Always remember: the best example for children is at home.