The Best Way to Prepare for a Natural Birth
The best preparation for a natural birth is the simple willingness to face the experience of childbirth.
Of course, it also involves a process of learning, getting to know yourself, conditioning, and preparation that we seek out for ourselves, following the guidelines recommended by experts as well as listening to our own intuition.
If you’ve had a healthy pregnancy, you’re likely to have a birth without complications.
We know there are many external and internal factors that are outside our control. Many of these are the responsibility of the medical staff and ob-gyn specialist who treats you.
As for what you can do to avoid any kind of mishap during a natural birth, it may surprise you to know that you can do quite a lot. In fact, more than you think! Below, we’ll reveal the best way to prepare.
A woman who chooses natural birth knows that her decision involves both a quite painful experience and a proactive role.
Why? Because a woman has more control over what the childbirth experience is like without the aid of medication (or with the minimum amount) and in general with the minimum possible “artificial” intervention.
Through natural childbirth, a woman can manage her own progress and make the adjustments she feels she needs. For example, she can more easily decide what position feels most comfortable, without anyone requiring her to stay in one position, lying down on a cot.
Contrary to what you might think, a natural birth isn’t a show of strength. It’s not a spectacle to show off in front of others. What it is, without a doubt, is an experience that makes you stronger.
Remember that a woman’s body is anatomically designed to have a high pain tolerance, and therefore is able to give birth. But even so, we can find other types of new strength before the time comes to give birth.
Advantages and disadvantages of natural birth
The advantage of natural birth is that the woman has control of her body. Therefore she can decide the rhythm with which she will move through each phase of birth.
On the other hand, by not allowing artificial “interference,” in the form of medicines and invasive procedures, the risk of suffering side effects from medication or external agents is reduced to an absolute minimum. Similarly, the baby will be less affected by these elements.
Another advantage of natural birth is that the woman has a more tangible opportunity to make her transition from a pregnant woman to the “official mother” of a new human being.
Evidently, because natural birth involves the desire to experience everything with all five senses fully alert, it’s a way of expressing love for the baby. In this way, the woman is clearly motivated to begin being a mother.
For many mothers, the sense of control helps diminish the intensity of the pain. This power gives them the strength necessary to go on, until they succeed in giving birth to their babies. Once the birth is over, they feel self-actualized.
If a woman chooses to give birth in an environment that is not a hospital or clinic, in which the medical staff can assist her in the case of an emergency, the risks are higher in all ways.
Against this background, the main disadvantage is that the risks of infection, vaginal hemorrhage, and/or any other complication are much higher and can lead to an emergency situation.
If, during a natural birth, you discover that you aren’t able to handle the pain as you thought, the best thing is always to seek medical attention immediately.
This doesn’t mean you’re any less strong, or that you’re a coward. On the contrary, it’s admirable that you decided to have a natural birth in the first place. This shows your enthusiasm for the commitment you’ve taken on.
However, it’s important to remember to respect your body and not force things in order to have a healthy experience. If something isn’t turning out how you planned or imagined it, you must know how to adapt to the circumstances.
The best way to prepare for a natural birth
Below, we’ll offer some useful tips to prepare yourself for your natural birth. Over the nine months of your pregnancy you’ll be able to master many of them. They are all very simple and shouldn’t cause you any trouble.
If anything makes you uncomfortable or if you have any questions, the best thing is to consult an expert such as your personal doctor.
- GET INFORMED! The better prepared you are with information, the better you’ll be able to retain control of the experience.
- A balanced diet. Although it sounds repetitive, nutrition directly influences all aspects of our lives, so it’s important to be careful about it.
- Practice breathing exercises regularly.
- Moderate physical activity. Prenatal yoga is an excellent option.
- Attend prenatal classes as much as you can. There they will teach you key relaxation techniques for managing the intensity of the pain during birth.
- Guided meditation. If you try guided meditation, you can create a psycho-emotional refuge that you can recreate during birth if you need to.
- Self-massage. It’s important to learn about your body, what points help relax you, which ones help relieve pain or tension, etc.
The advice above is of no use if you don’t learn to manage your progress. To reach the desired goal of a natural childbirth, we must dedicate the necessary time to establish the discipline that will allow us to monitor our progress.
As in so many areas, patience and perseverance will obtain better results than limiting yourself to the superficial. Nobody is born an expert, it’s something you learn bit by bit. It’s about deepening your knowledge of your body.
In other words, establishing a birth plan will be helpful when the time comes to apply all these tips.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- El umbral del dolor. Hospital Intermutual de Levante. [En línea] Disponible en: https://www.hilevante.com/el-umbral-del-dolor/
- Rodrigo, A; Collazos, R. El parto natural: el proceso paso a paso, ventajas y desventajas. Reproducción Asistida ORG. [En línea] Disponible en: https://www.reproduccionasistida.org/parto-natural-2/
- Recomendaciones de la OMS para los cuidados durante el parto, para una experiencia de parto positiva. Organización Mundial de la Salud. [En línea] Disponible en: https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/intrapartum-care-guidelines/es/
- Recomendaciones para un parto normal: indicaciones del Ministerio de Sanidad y de la OMS sobre un parto hospitalario normal. El País. 2016. [En línea] Disponible en: https://elpais.com/elpais/2016/11/16/media/1479322247_869545.html