How to Fight Cellulite After Pregnancy
Find out how you can fight cellulite after pregnancy in this article.
During and after pregnancy, multiple changes occur that leave women’s bodies different than before. One of them is cellulite.
Although this may appear even before pregnancy, you can improve it. Find out how to do it in this article.
Can cellulite be removed after pregnancy?
Yes, it’s possible in some cases. However, it’s difficult to eliminate it altogether.
You can fight cellulite after pregnancy in different ways. But bear in mind that it doesn’t disappear on its own. You need certain techniques and strategies to eliminate it.
Here are a few recommendations to help fight cellulite after pregnancy:
Fight cellulite with a healthy diet
A good diet is crucial to eradicating postpartum cellulite. With that in mind, the following tips to improve your eating habits will be very useful.
Follow a balanced diet that includes all the nutritional food groups. Pay special attention to fruits, vegetables, and food high in protein. In addition, it’s necessary to consume enough antioxidants, as this helps revitalize the skin.
Minerals mustn’t be missing in your daily intake. Therefore, you must consume rice, fish, liver, cheese, avocado, and other foods that provide them.
It’s also important to reduce your salt intake. Include these four essential foods in your diet to help get rid of cellulite:
- Vegetables: they have natural diuretic properties. They help to reduce retained liquid and the fat that causes cellulite. You can eat vegetables such as beans, lentils, broccoli, and spinach in salads, roasts, or cooked.
- Lemon and orange: the vitamin C found in these fruits is essential for reducing imperfections. Consuming other citrus fruits such as grapefruit will also help.
- Pineapple: this is one of the most indicated fruits for reducing fluid retention since it’s a naturally potent diuretic. Additionally, it helps to lose weight in a short time and is anti-inflammatory. This will allow you to improve the appearance of your skin.
Exercises to fight cellulite after pregnancy
You can do different types of exercises to eliminate adiposity, especially in the legs and abdomen. However, you must ensure that they’re the most suitable for your body, depending on whether you had a natural birth or a c-section.
Next up, we’ll provide details about some of the best exercises for counteracting cellulite. Of course, before performing them you should consult with your doctor.
Low-impact but long-lasting exercises burn more fat. These are the ones that are just right for eliminating cellulite.
For example, morning walks at a considerable pace for 1 hour or jogs that improve circulation and eliminate fat and sagging.
Practicing swimming and water exercises helps reduce cellulite in the legs and tones them.
In addition, riding a bicycle and performing localized exercises such as squats, reaffirms the legs and glutes. That’s to say, the parts where cellulite is most frequent after pregnancy.
These workouts should be done two or three times a week.
“Aerobic exercises are just right for eliminating cellulite, specifically those of low impact and long duration.”
What to avoid to reduce cellulite?
There are several habits that you must change to achieve an effective result against cellulite. Here are some of them:
- Poor eating habits: excessive intake of saturated fat and sweets doesn’t favor your health. On the contrary, it increases the adiposity in your skin.
- Don’t drink sodas: instead of hydrating, they’ll worsen health problems and increase the appearance of cellulite. It’s recommended to drink 2 liters of plain water a day. Ideally, start the day by drinking 1 glass of water on an empty stomach.
- Keep regular meal times: make several meals a day but don’t stuff yourself. Strive to stick to a meal schedule, and don’t skip any meals. Avoid snacking since it increases the secretion of insulin and favors fat storage, thus causing cellulite.
- Avoid showering with hot water: high temperatures increase circulatory problems and flaccidity.
Treatments and massages to fight cellulite after pregnancy
There are treatments that reduce the accumulation of fat in the skin. For example, the camelina. It’s a method whose main component is green tea, which can be taken as an infusion or in capsules. If you’re breastfeeding, you should ask a specialist if you can use it during that time.
On the other hand, you can perform self-massages on the affected areas. Make circular movements from the ankles to the thighs. Before doing the massage, moisturize the skin with an anti-cellulite cream or with an oil.
Put into practice the different techniques mentioned here to fight cellulite after pregnancy and promote healthy skin. It’s not a magical process: as we said before, you’ll need perseverance and patience to achieve results.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Dhar, D. Celulitis. Manual MSD – Versión para profesionales. [En línea].
- Lemmel, J. Celulitis: formación, localización, etiología, clasificación, diagnóstico y tratamiento. ámbito farmacéutico. Dermofarmacia. 2005, 24 (5); 74- 81. [En línea].
- Ousey K, Cutting K. F, et al. The importance of hydration in wound healing: reinvigorating the clinical perspective. Journal of Wound Care. Marzo 2016. 25 (3): 122, 124-130.