3 Recipes for Snack Cakes
The body requires a balanced and frequent intake of food. These sweet, delicious and light options are the ideal complement to satisfy an afternoon appetite.
Professionals recommend eating five meals a day to provide enough energy and nutrients for our bodies throughout the day. Here we’ll provide three recipes for snack cakes that you can enjoy as a family and help meet your nutritional needs.
Snacks are simple and light foods that are eaten between larger meals. These are of great importance, both for adults and for the little ones in the house.
Some people don’t believe snacks are part of a good diet because they contain only sugar and lead to weight gain. However, enjoying delicious, light snacks can help give you and your family a state of total well-being: physical, psychological and emotional.
To achieve this, here are three recipes for snack cakes that are super easy and simple to make at home. They contain balanced combinations of dairy and fruit, providing energy that the body needs in between meals.
Recipes for snack cakes
1. Basic vanilla sponge cake
This first option is ideal to combine with fruits thanks to its neutral flavor.
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 6 eggs
- 10 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Grated lemon or orange
- Separate the egg whites and beat them until white and fluffy.
- While stirring, add 8 tbsp of sugar one by one until they’re completely dissolved in the egg whites.
- In another bowl, mix the yolks with the other 2 tbsp of sugar and pour them over the egg whites. Then, add the vanilla and the lemon or orange zest.
- Add the sifted corn starch little by little and continue beating until it’s fully incorporated into the mixture.
- Pour into a greased pan and cook in an oven that has been preheated at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Pineapple sponge cake
The second cake recipe on this list is delightful thanks to its light and juicy texture.
- 1 can of pineapple pieces
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups rising wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- Drain the pineapple but reserve the juice. Add water to the pineapple juice until there is 3/4 cup. Set both the pineapple and juice aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites at a high speed with the cream of tartar until it forms soft peaks.
- While maintaining a consistent stirring speed, add 1/2 cup of sugar 2 tbsp at a time, until it’s dissolved and the mixture forms firm and soft peaks.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, then add the other 1/2 cup sugar, plus salt, flour, baking powder and, finally, the pineapple juice.
- Beat for about 3 minutes until the mixture is light and foamy.
- Using a rubber spatula, integrate both preparations gently until they’re well combined. Finally, add the pineapple pieces and mix well.
- Grease a baking pan and bake for about an hour or until the cake bounces when touched.
- Let it cool well and cover with an almond glaze. To make this glaze, mix 1 cup of sugar with 2 tbsp milk and 3/4 tbsp almond extract.
“Snacks are of great importance, both for the adults and the little ones in the house.”
3. Tangerine sponge cake
This cake has a very fresh and light flavor. It’s another ideal option to share at snack time.
- 0.8 oz butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp mandarin zest
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups rising wheat flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking pan with butter and flour. Set aside.
- Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and grated tangerine until a white mixture is obtained. Add the eggs one by one.
- Incorporate the rising wheat flour and milk by alternating back and forth until the full amounts of both have been added. When everything is well mixed, place in the oven for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove from the pan when it’s completely cool.
With these snack cakes, you can surprise your family with homemade and fresh food. It’s also the perfect option if you have guests coming over and want to show off your culinary skills!