Spoon-friendly Recipes for the Second Trimester of Pregnancy
Week 29 indicates the start of the second trimester of pregnancy. That’s why it’s the ideal moment to pay more attention to your diet. To help, here are some delicious spoon-friendly recipes for the second trimester.
This is the final stretch of pregnancy in which anxiety and other feelings in general about having a new baby increase. What better way to express them than through the culinary arts?
The importance of a balanced diet
It’s very important that during this stage the woman pays special attention to her diet, which must be nutritious and balanced.
The amount of calories that the future mother should give her body will be a very important factor. Her doctor will be the one who can calculate that quantity very precisely, although on average it would be between 300 and 500 extra calories daily.
Spoon-friendly recipes for the second trimester of pregnancy
A pregnant woman’s diet during this time should include carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
There are many spoon-friendly recipes for the second trimester of pregnancy that can be used, both salty and sweet.
It’s very important to provide a sufficient amount of energy to the body at the beginning of the day. That’s why including dairy, fruits and cereals at this time of day is recommended.
Some examples of healthy breakfasts that the pregnant woman can start her day with are half a cup of cereal, a glass of milk and half an orange or grapefruit.
Another option would be a glass of semi-skimmed milk accompanied with decaffeinated coffee or cacao powder, fruit juice and half a cup of cereal with yogurt.
For a woman in the second trimester of pregnancy, meals should be frequent, with various snacks per day. Because of this, experts suggest including a handful of fresh or dried fruits in your diet at mid-morning. These will help satisfy hunger.
This is the time to eat the largest meal of the day and it’s during this time that you can include one of the many healthy recipes for the mother.
In this meal, it’s important to include a soup or cream, followed by some grilled veal or baked salmon, or maybe grilled chicken breast. For dessert, you can have some fruit that is different from the one consumed in the morning.
Cream of asparagus recipe
- 1 kilo of green asparagus.
- 1 chopped onion.
- 3 tablespoons of butter without salt.
- 5 cups of chicken soup (or more if necessary).
- 1/2 cup of milk cream.
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice.
- Cut the tips off the asparagus which will be used as a garnish.
- Chop the rest of the asparagus.
- Cook the onion in two tablespoons of butter until it’s soft, removing it with a wooden spoon.
- Add the asparagus with a bit of salt and pepper and let it cook for five minutes.
- Add between five and six cups of chicken soup and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the asparagus is soft.
- While cooking the soup, cook the tips of the asparagus for about three or four minutes in a pot with a little bit of water.
- Place everything in the blender and blend until you have a purée.
- Add the cream and let it cook until it boils, adding a tablespoon of butter.
- Place the tips of the asparagus as a garnish.
At this stage of the pregnancy it’s necessary, as we’ve seen, to have frequent meals.
For this time of day, in the afternoon snack, you can have a turkey breast and cheese sandwich, yogurt with a handful of dried fruit, fruit juice or natural smoothie, graham crackers, among other things.
Finally, it’s important that the woman in the second trimester of pregnancy doesn’t go to bed without having dinner.
For the last meal of the day there are also a variety of recipes, from salads to grilled vegetables or baked fish fillet. Dinner should be light and should never be skipped.
Spoon-friendly recipes for the second trimester of pregnancy are very easy to prepare. They also have the great advantage of being versatile and light, so you have a lot of freedom to experiment. Have some!