5 Fun Vegetable Recipes Your Children Are Sure to Enjoy
And your concern about your children eating vegetables is completely justified. Veggies contain many vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber and water. However, their flavor and texture often make them unattractive to kids.
The benefits of eating vegetables
Vegetable recipes aim to reduce the negative effects of junk food and candies that children are so drawn to. Therefore, it"s very important they make up part of your child"s diet. Below we"ll mention the main nutrients that common vegetables provide:
- Tomato. Tomatoes are high in vitamin A, vitamin C and minerals.
- Carrot. Carrots are high in vitamin A.
- Lettuce. This leafy vegetable activates intestinal function. It also contains vitamins A, C and B2.
- Peppers. Peppers act as a gastric stimulant and wake up one"s appetite. They have antibiotic properties that help avoid infection. They possess high quantities of vitamins A and C.
- Cucumber. Thanks to their high water content, cucumbers help prevent dehydration.
- Broccoli. Broccoli contains a high quantity of proteins and fiber. It supplies the body with vitamins A, B1, B2, calcium and iron.
- Spinach. Spinach is rich in potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamins C, E, A and B9.
5 fun vegetable recipes your children are sure to enjoy
1. Vegetable puree
This creamy mixture tends to be a hit among children because of its smooth texture, making it easy to eat. It includes as many vegetables as you want or, in other words, whatever you have on hand.
To add nutritional value to this recipe, you can add stock or chopped chicken. You can also add lean beef.
- Peel and chop all of the vegetables.
- Place the chopped veggies in a pot and cover them with water and/or stock. Also add chicken or beef, if desired.
- Add a tablespoon of oil and a bit of salt.
- Boil until the vegetables are well cooked.
- Puree everything together to create a creamy blend.
- When serving, you can also add plain yogurt.
Souffles are very practical when it comes to preparation and they allow for a variety of vegetables. If you add eggs and milk, then the recipe becomes even more nutritious.
- Prepare a white sauce using: 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of melted butter or margarine, salt and nutmeg.
- Add chopped, cooked vegetables: 1/2 cup of broccoli, 1/2 cup squash, 1 carrot, 1/2 cup spinach.
- Add 4 egg yolks, and also 4 egg whites beaten to form peaks.
- Place the mixture into a buttered pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
3. Squash puree
Squash puree is a great side dish to serve with meat. Squash is high in fiber, potassium, beta carotene and vitamins C, E and B. A plate of squash puree is very nutritious and most children really like it.
- Boil 2 pounds of squash.
- When it has cooled a bit, drain the water and mash.
- Add milk and melted butter or margerine.
- Serve hot or cold.
- You can also substitute squash with spinach or carrots.
4. Veggie sandwich
Sandwiches are a great meal format for children. This recipe is quick, healthy and practical, and you can enjoy it anywhere at any time.
- Spread cream cheese on two slices of bread.
- Add vegetables: tomato, corn, cooked leeks, cooked eggplant, etc.
- Add condiments to taste (salt, pepper, mustard).
- You can also add hard boiled egg, nuts, and lettuce.
5. Veggie hamburger
This is one of the vegetable recipes that"s most successful with young eaters. It"s both attractive and easy to prepare. All you have to do is say the word “hamburger" and you"ll already have your kids" attention.
- Cook broccoli and cut it into small pieces.
- Add cream cheese, 1/2 onion, chopped and sauteed, 1 chopped red pepper, 2 eggs and bread crumbs.
- Knead the mixture with your hands as if you were preparing hamburger meat.
- Cook in a frying pan or in the oven.
- You can serve with buns or right on the plate, with puree or salad on the side.
- Try to create a fun presentation to increase your child"s enjoyment.
A plate"s appearance has a major influence on whether your child will accept it or reject it. For that reason, it"s important that you play around with your veggie recipes to increase your chances of success. It"s all about being clever and creative!