Snacks for The Third Trimester of Pregnancy
Your diet plays a fundamental role during pregnancy, guaranteeing the health and nutrition that your future baby needs. Here are some great snacks for the third trimester of pregnancy that are easy to make, delicious and healthy.
During the second trimester of pregnancy, your body experienced remarkable changes and growth. And now that you’ve finally entered the last trimester, you’re almost there!
A mother’s diet changes slightly during each trimester. To give you an idea, general diet recommendations are 18000 calories a day for the first trimester, 2200 calories for the trimester, and 24000 for the third.
Food during the third trimester
It’s recommended to have several meals a day. However, make sure to make them in small portions to facilitate digestion and maintain your energy throughout the day. About six light meals a day can prevent heartburn and discomfort.
On the other hand, it’s still essential to consume the recommended nutrients during pregnancy such as iron, calcium, fiber, vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates. Also, don’t forget about omega-3 and fat, although the latter to a lesser extent.
3 simple snacks for the third trimester of pregnancy
These snacks are perfect because they don’t require much effort to prepare. Below you’ll find some practical snack ideas:
1. Hummus + baby carrots or pita bread
This is one of the easiest snacks for the third trimester of pregnancy. It’s very practical, healthy and really delicious.
- Kosher salt.
- ½ cup of water.
- 2 garlic cloves ground.
- Fresh pepper (optional).
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- ¼ cup of sesame paste.
- 2 cans of chickpeas (washed and drained).
- Put the chickpeas and the garlic in the food processor and press on it 5 times.
- Add the water and the rest of the ingredients until you get a purée.
- Serve with baby carrots or pita bread.
2. Wholemeal toast with cream cheese
In addition to providing fiber and carbohydrates through the wholemeal bread, this snack also offers a significant amount of calcium from the cheese. In case you want to make the recipe a little healthier, go ahead and look for low-fat cheese.
You can make this recipe however you want, but we recommend that you choose a softer kind of cheese to avoid heavy digestion.
- Wholemeal bread.
- Tomato and lettuce (optional).
- Low-fat ham (optional).
- Cream cheese (any kind you want).
- Cut the wholemeal bread into slices.
- Put it in the toaster.
- Add the sliced creamy cheese.
- If you want, add tomatoes and fresh lettuce. They’ll give your snack a great flavor and it’ll also be more filling.
- You can also add a slice of low-fat ham if you like.
3. Banana muffins
This is definitely the most complex option on this list of snacks for the third trimester of pregnancy. However, it has many important nutritional values since it provides energy, vitamins, and fiber.
- 1 egg.
- A pinch of salt.
- 165 g of flour.
- A pinch of cinnamon.
- 150 g of brown sugar.
- 75 g of melted butter.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 3 large bananas (mashed).
- Sift the flour and add the yeast and the baking soda.
- Preheat the oven to 180º Celsius (350º Fahrenheit)
- Add baking powder to the muffin molds.
- Mix the mashed bananas, the melted butter, the egg, the cinnamon, the salt and the sugar in a bowl.
- Add the flour to this mixture and mix until it’s homogeneous.
- Pour the preparation into the molds.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Don’t hesitate to ask someone close to you to spoil you with one (or all!) of these snacks for the third trimester of pregnancy. We’re sure you’ll love them!