Summer Clothes for Babies: 5 Tips and Recommendations
Knowing how to choose clothing for your little one in the hot season is vital if you want them to stay comfortable and cool. The wrong outfit can cause allergies, dehydration, hot flashes, irritability, and even sunburn. If you want to make the right choice, in this article, we’ll give you some tips and recommendations for buying summer clothes for babies.
Loose-fitting clothes, made of soft and cool fabrics, are ideal for high temperatures that can cause a lot of sweating and discomfort in young children. So, take note of these recommendations!
Learn how to choose summer clothes for babies
Below, we’ll provide you with a guide of tips to take into account when shopping for your child’s summer clothes.
1. Loose-fitting clothes
Your baby’s skin is very soft and fragile, so wearing tight-fitting clothes can cause irritation or heat stroke. At this time of the year, loose-fitting clothing is recommended, although you should be especially careful not to leave the skin too exposed to the sun and cause sunburn. Also, you should avoid leaving your baby underdressed if the temperature drops in the early or late hours of the day.
2. Opt for cool colors and fabrics when choosing summer clothes for babies
Summer baby clothes should be made with cool fabrics for a more comfortable feel. Cotton and linen are the perfect fabrics, as they’re soft, light, allow the skin to perspire, and provide comfort.
Cotton is a natural, hypoallergenic, and breathable fiber, while linen absorbs heat and sweat well and prevents clothes from sticking to the baby’s body.
There are also garments that combine the two materials in different percentages. Check that the label specifies the type of fabric that your baby needs.
Shorts, fresh and loose dresses, and light-colored T-shirts will provide more freshness on these summer days.
3. Short-sleeved bodysuits
A must-have garment in any baby’s closet is the bodysuit or onesie, as it provides a lot of comfort and is used by both boys and girls. In addition, it’s easy to put on and take off, as it is fastened at the bottom. There are also crossover style onesies, which button from the top like kimonos and are more comfortable to put on.
Put on short-sleeved bodysuits for the day and long-sleeved ones at night, in case the temperature drops.
4. Lightweight pajamas
At bedtime, if you have the air conditioner on high, your baby may feel a little chilly. Opt for short-sleeved pajamas and a light blanket for warmth. Put light fabric socks on them and pay attention to their manifestations of heat or cold during the night.
5. Long-sleeved swimsuits
Babies can also swim at beaches or pools from six months of age. When going for a walk, use long-sleeved swimsuits to regulate their body temperature and protect them from the sun. Don’t forget to wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses for babies to protect their eyes.
Follow these recommendations for dressing your baby in summer
- Your baby may cry when experiencing too much heat. In this case, remove clothing and give your baby fluids.
- During the first months of life, babies can’t regulate their body temperature. Be alert if the temperature drops at nightfall or very early in the morning to add an extra layer of clothing.
- When going outdoors, use a stroller instead of a baby carrier, as these are tight to the body and cause more heat. In the stroller, your baby will be comfortable and can sit or lie down. Try to make sure the cover is made of cotton, as it comes into contact with the baby’s skin and allows for better perspiration.
- If the temperature rises a lot, the best way to make your child feel comfortable is to take off all their clothes and leave them alone with his diaper. But be sure not to expose your child to sunlight in that case.
Provide the comfort your baby needs
There are countless models of summer clothing for babies on the market. Choose the one that best suits your baby’s needs and your tastes. They come in different colors, plain or printed, cotton or linen. The most important thing is that clothing provides well-being, a feeling of freshness, and the necessary comfort for your little one.It might interest you...