Let Your Kids Dig Their Hands into Magic Sand!
Magic sand is a material that has the amazing capacity to entertain and fascinate the youngest members of your home. Also known as moon sand, it’s both easy to make and fun!
This magic sand owes its name to its strangeness, as it consists of a moving substance that can take on different forms. At the same time, you can make it whatever color you want, using the same basic technique.
Want to know the best part about magic sand? Making this captivating substance only requires a few materials, and it’s completely reusable.
So what are you waiting for? Sit down with your children and put your hands to work!
What materials do I need to make magic sand
As you’ll see, you’ll only need a few ingredients to dazzle your little ones with this creation.
You’ll also be surprised to discover that most of the necessary elements can already be found in your own home.
Pay attention and take note of the following recipe. When you mix these four or five ingredients, you’ll be sure to appreciate the awe on your children‘s face. And they’ll be sure to thank you for a long time to come.
- Colored sand
- Dish soap
- Glitter (optional)
There is no better gift for a child than your time
Magic sand, step by step
- The first thing you need to do is choose a large, deep bowl for carrying out the initial mixing. In this same container, pour all of the colored sand. You can allow your child to choose what color sand to use. Add one tablespoon of cornstarch. Combine these ingredients very well until you get a homogeneous mix. Make sure to break up any lumps of starch and disperse them in the sand.
- In a separate bowl, pour one tablespoon of water and one drop of dish soap. Mix the two ingredients until you obtain a homogeneous liquid.
- Now, add the mixture of soap and water to the initial dry mixture of sand and cornstarch. Mix well in order to create a moist dough.
- Remove the mixture from the bowl in order to knead the entire preparation making use of your own two hands. Get your kids involved as well!
- If you want to give your kinetic sand a more glamorous look, you can add glitter to the mixture. For best results, choose glitter that’s the same color as the sand, or silver or gold.
- Once you’ve kneaded the mixture, you’ll come up with a play dough like substance, only more fragile. Your magic sand is now ready for you and your child to enjoy.
Considerations regarding kinetic sand
Remember that the exact measurements of the materials this recipe calls for will depend on the amount of sand you want to make.
We recommend aiming for a mixture of about 100 grams. However, it’s up to each family to determine what quantity best suits their needs and tastes.
So, what are you waiting for? Set aside some time with your little ones to create and enjoy your own magic sand. The experience will leave you speechless.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Andreeva, I., Petuhova, O., Vavilova, K., Volkova, T., & Shalaeva, S. DEVELOPMENT OF CHILDREN’S CREATIVE ABILITIES WHILE WORKING WITH KINETIC SAND. http://www.ocerints.org/socioint18_e-publication/abstracts/papers/153.pdf