Love and Friendship in Adolescence
Adolescence is a stage in life where teens have their first experiences of love and friendship. In fact, it’s a fantastic opportunity for young people to discover two of the most important feelings that people experience. In this article, we’ll talk about how important they are for teenagers.
Friendship in adolescence takes on a fundamental role, since it’s the moment when teens have more freedom and independence. Sometimes, adolescents spend less time with their parents than with friends. This leads many parents to worry about what habits their teens will pick up in their social circles.
However, even if you notice that your children want more space, they still need you. Therefore, you should always be interested in them and available to talk when they need you.
Adolescent love is something teens will remember forever because of its intensity and importance, as well as the emotional learning experiences it brings.
In fact, most people remember their first loves for the rest of their lives. They represent a significant change in teens’ lives, since it’s a much more moving and intense relationship than anything they had ever experienced before.
They may also have a sense of desperate attachment. This means their happiness from being with someone mixes with their fear of being left behind.
As a result, painful conflicts happen while struggling with freedom, possession, honesty, trust, jealousy or rejection.
Therefore, it’s important for parents to always be aware of this tension. That way, they can understand the complexity of their children’s relationships.
Finally, it’s time to ask yourself if it’s possible for there to be love and friendship among teenagers. Often, there are situations of two teenagers where they’re friends, but they’re also attracted to each other.
Love and friendship in adolescence: what makes it so special?
For teenagers, good friends can be like a personal support group that brings many benefits. These are the top things that love and friendship give adolescents:
- Provide emotional security that teenagers need to grow.
- Allow teens to do new things within social groups, outside of their family.
- Provide a sense of belonging and value, and help build trust.
- Offer a way of experiencing different values, roles, ideas and identities.
- Bring comfort to see that others are going through similar things.
- Are a source of recognition that helps build self-esteem.
“Adolescence is the moment in life when young people stop believing in fairy tales and start believing in love.”
Why is love and friendship so important in adolescence?
Age is just a number when it comes to love and friendship. However, in adolescence, love takes on a special magnitude. Some reasons why love is so important in adolescence is because it allows teens to:
- Experience their first love.
- Feel physical interest for the first time.
- Share feelings and thoughts that you don’t share with anyone else.
- Have an opportunity to know what the word “commitment” represents.
- Learn the meaning of a healthy relationship between two people, which includes giving and receiving.
- Have very important moral support during this stage.
- Set boundaries and limits for the first time.
Before concluding, you should know that several studies have confirmed that dating doesn’t always affect teens’ self-esteem, but rather has a significant effect on internalizing behaviors, being able to talk openly, and sexist beliefs.
“Adolescent love is something teens will remember forever because of its intensity and importance, as well as the emotional learning experiences it brings.”
In short, love and friendship in adolescence are some of the most beautiful and exciting experiences that people discover throughout their lives.
Remember, as a mother, you should never pressure your children about their choices. Of course, you should always be available to help and guide them through this special stage!