The Importance of Ergonomic Baby Carriers
After babies are born, the first three months of life are like the fourth trimester of pregnancy. This is because, during this stage, babies are so immature they need their mother’s full attention. In fact, it’s during this stage where ergonomic baby carriers become so important.
In many cultures, it’s very common to see mothers carrying their babies on their chest or back. To do this, they use fabrics with different characteristics. In the West, people have developed certain devices for parents to be able to carry their babies in the same way. It’s very important to gather some information before deciding which carrier you’ll get. Furthermore, you should know all the best techniques for wearing your baby without negatively affecting their posture or yours.
What are ergonomic baby carriers?
Ergonomic baby carriers help you carry your baby in a safe and respectful way. Besides, they allow you to be in permanent contact with your baby. Furthermore, anyone can use them. This method promotes a good posture for your baby and yourself.
In order to use this method properly, it’s important to choose an object specially designed for this purpose. Among the most common baby carriers, you’ll find the wrap, the stretchy wrap, the sling ring carrier, the Meh Tai, the backpack, and the pouch sling. Each of them has its own characteristics when it comes to measurements, materials, and techniques.
Why are ergonomic baby carriers important?
Ergonomic baby carriers are a very important transportation tool for mothers and their babies. In fact, this is a valuable system that respects the baby’s original back posture. Besides, babies feel safe by being in permanent contact with their mothers. The feeling is quite similar to how they feel inside the womb.
In addition, this system helps you prevent possible alterations in your babies’ postures. During their first months of life, when their neck is still quite flexible, you must be careful regarding where you place their heads. Flat head syndrome usually happens when you place the same side of your baby’s head on a rigid surface. This is also called positional plagiocephaly. Babywearing helps prevent this.
What’s more, babywearing promotes proper development of the hips and helps to treat hip dysplasia. You can also use it to alleviate infant colic.
Ergonomic baby carriers: Safety
Ergonomic baby carriers are safe if you use them properly. In order to do so, you must bear in mind the following points:
- The baby must be in a vertical position with a space between their knees. You should always be able to see their face, and their pelvis should tilt towards the adult’s body. Moreover, the baby’s abdomen must be in touch with the adult, in order to make sure their chin doesn’t fall on their chest, causing them to suffocate.
- The baby carrier must be tight, allowing good support in all the parts of the back.
- When you’re carrying a newborn baby, make sure their head is on your back or chest.
- Adults must make sure babies are breathing properly at all times.
When choosing the baby carrier, make sure it’s ergonomic and comfortable. What’s more, it must be easy to carry around and safe, allowing babies to be one kiss away from the adult. The baby’s thighs must be above the carrier’s belly button.
By being adjustable, baby carriers allow you to use them as your baby keeps growing. What’s more, babies can move more freely. However, remember that the carrier should hold your baby’s head when they’re sleeping.
The benefits of using this method properly
There are many benefits to using an ergonomic baby carrier properly. At first, you may have to be patient until you learn to use it correctly. However, once you learn how to do it, it becomes simple and quite practical. The following are some of the benefits of using an ergonomic baby carrier:
- For adults: It helps you calm your baby and understand their needs better. By having your baby close to you all the time, you become more familiar with their needs. It also helps other adults to bond with your baby. You get to use your arms to do something else. Furthermore, it improves the mother’s mood during the postpartum period because you’re used to carrying your babies inside your womb until very recently. In the same way, it’s very useful for breastfeeding.
- For babies: They feel safe and protected, so they become less upset. It also promotes good sleep and less energy waste. Furthermore, it improves thermal regulation and the expulsion of gases. Finally, it stimulates all their senses and promotes healthy attachment with their parents.
This system also allows you to avoid using a stroller. Besides, if your start using it once your baby’s born, you’ll strengthen your back muscles progressively. And, this is a very important benefit.
Therefore, ergonomic baby carriers are quite beneficial for you and your baby if you use them properly. Besides, they improve mothers’ and caregivers’ quality of life. Among other things, it allows you to do other things while your baby feels safe and comfortable.It might interest you...