Exercising with Your Baby: Practical Ideas for Moms
You just had your baby and your life has changed completely. Your body has also changed, and now your routine is so chaotic that you feel you don’t have time for anything. Nevertheless, you want to stay healthy and strong and recover your figure. Don’t worry! In this article, we"ll talk about simple ways you can start exercising with your baby.
Sports and motherhood
Despite the many challenges motherhood entails, it’s important not to fall into a sedentary lifestyle.
Your body needs to recover after pregnancy and childbirth, as well as restore good muscle tone. You may also want to get rid of the weight you gained in the previous months or just need to feel good.
Exercising provides many benefits. It helps you be physically and emotionally healthy. Exercising also allows you to disconnect and dedicate some time to yourself, which is essential. However, you don’t have the same time you used to and you also don’t want to be away from your baby, so it"s harder to get to the gym.
The solution? Including your little one in your exercise routine!
Exercising with your baby outdoors
It’s common for you to feel locked up at home for the first few months. Exercising outdoors can be that breath of fresh air you need to recharge your batteries. Contact with nature, sunlight, and the breeze will make both of you feel good.
To do this, one of the simplest options is to take a walk with your baby. You can take them on a baby sling, a baby carrier, or on their stroller.
If you also want to supplement this cardiovascular routine with toning exercises, find a park or a quiet place and take note of the exercises we propose below.
- Firmly grasp the handlebars of the stroller and lift one leg back. Keeping your leg straight, try to tighten your buttocks and hold for a few seconds. After several repetitions, change legs and repeat.
- With the stroller in front of you, support your hands on it. Place one foot forward, as if you were doing a lunge, while bending your back knee, almost touching the ground. Return to your starting position and continue, alternating your legs.
- To exercise your arms, hold the handle of the stroller with your palms facing up. Raise and lower the stroller to work your biceps. You can also grab the handlebars normally and raise the stroller by opening your elbows to your shoulders.
Exercising with your baby at home
If you prefer exercising at home, you can consider several options. If you want to make the most of your time while your baby sleeps, you can use various online resources (such as videos or applications) that propose gym or yoga routines you can do at home.
Conversely, if you want to involve your baby in your sports routine, these are some of the exercises you can do:
- Squats. Hold your baby in front of you, with your arms outstretched. Open your legs and go down, bending your knees and throwing your buttocks back.
- Bridge. Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet slightly apart. Place your baby on your abdomen and lift your pelvis, doing it with your legs and buttocks and go down without touching the floor.
- Plank. Put your baby on their back and place yourself above them, supporting your elbows on either side of your baby’s body and with your legs stretched. Contract your abdomen and hold the position for 30 seconds. You can use this same position to do push-ups.
- Chest. Lie on your back with your baby on your chest. Lift your baby and lower them, flexing and stretching your arms.
Remember to do these exercises gradually. Starting with three sets of 15 repetitions is enough.
Classes for mothers and babies
Several gyms and centers offer various classes for moms and babies. Besides exercising and strengthening the bond with your child, you can meet mothers in the same situation and build friendships with them.It might interest you...