What's the Best Way to Wash Underwear?
Do you want to know the best way to wash underwear? With these tips, they'll last longer and will always be as good as new.
They’re the most delicate garments that we have in our wardrobes. We use them daily and, truthfully, we don’t take care of them as well as we should. Did you know that there are ways to wash underwear that extend its lifetime?
The first thing we have to learn is to read the labels, see their composition and focus on the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding care and maintenance. If you follow these tips, the items that you like so much could last much longer.
For people who hand wash
Panties, bras, and stockings are garments composed of delicate materials and are usually fragile. In addition, sometimes, they aren’t economical at all. Hence, you shouldn’t be careless with them; ideally, you should always wash your underwear by hand, especially if they’re not cotton.
Tips to wash your underwear and make it look brand new
- Read the garment’s label very well.
- Let it soak for half an hour in a bucket with warm water and a stream of white vinegar. You can also do it in water with baking soda. This product cleans, whitens, and eliminates odors. After that, always rinse with cold water.
- White vinegar also helps you to better preserve black lace garments and is super effective with any type of stain.
- For white lace, you can use water with salt. This combination will prevent it from turning yellow.
- Always separate the colors and don’t mix the strong tones with the clear ones, they could fade.
- Rub with your hand, never use a brush because it will damage the delicate tissues.
- Always rinse abundantly and with cold water.
- Never squeeze the clothes.
- Dry the underwear on a clean towel – it’s the best way to avoid deforming them, especially bras.
- If you hang it up to dry, make sure it doesn’t receive direct sunlight since it fades away the color. Additionally, spores, fungi, or bacteria can attach themselves to the fibers… and you know where they would end up.
- Never use bleach, even on white clothes. It stains the garments yellow and damages the elastic on panties and bras.
For those who use a washing machine
It’s certainly understandable to have a hard time organizing our daily schedules due to the number of things that lie ahead. Thus, living without a washing machine doesn’t seem like a good idea.
Don’t worry, there’s a solution for everything. By following these tips, you can make proper use of your machine to wash underwear.
- Invest in special laundry bags for delicate clothing. This way, you’ll protect your intimate clothes from rubbing with other thicker clothes; hence, preventing them from getting damaged.
- Always fasten bras. With this precaution, they won’t become entangled with the rest of the clothes. The closures could latch on to other garments.
- Choose a short cycle and wash with cold water and a specific detergent.
- Don’t use the dryer. This device may be useful, but it terribly damages the fibers and will end up wearing out the elastic.
- The truth is that you should only use the washing machine to clean garments that are made of cotton.
The first thing we have to learn is to read the labels, see their composition and focus on the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding care and maintenance.
Why wash underwear separately?
According to a study by Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, many bacteria from underwear were also present in the rest of the laundry.
They were found in up to 40% of the total number of clothes analyzed; even when they had been washed with detergent and bleach. Therefore, it’s crucial to wash our underwear separately, besides caring for it and extending its life.
In women, vaginal yeast infections are very frequent. Poor underwear hygiene could cause candidiasis to persist. Vinegar, hot water, avoiding very strong soaps, and not using the dryer will help keep you safe from the discomfort of a vaginal infection.
Nonetheless, if you use the dryer anyway, try to rinse it with a bit of bleach after the wash cycle. It’s a preventive action to make sure that there are no traces of microorganisms.
Tips to preserve underwear better
- Never iron it, the elastic fibers will wear out.
- Store it in a drawer separate from the rest of the clothes.
- Cover the drawer with a cloth to prevent the underwear from getting caught in the wood.
As you may have noticed, underwear deserves special care, especially pieces that are more delicate. Nonetheless, with these recommendations on how to wash underwear and keep it healthy for a long time, you can relax and enjoy your favorite intimate apparel.