A Good Teacher Can Save Your Life
Anyone who has ever had a good teacher during their childhood years knows that he or she had a positive influence on their life that marked a path towards happiness and personal growth.
A good teacher has the ability to help a student in many areas of life, beyond the obvious academic field. Spending a lot of time in the same environment can help people develop relationships that have a greater significance than they may seem at first glance.
A good teacher can be the guide who says the right word at the right time and in the right way.
How do teachers make such an impact on their students? By speaking with wisdom, without projecting, and always with positive intentions.
“The mediocre teacher tells, the ordinary teacher explains, the good teacher demonstrates and the excellent teacher inspires.”
–William A. Ward–
Dedication, integrity, passion for the profession, discipline, commitment, responsibility and emotional intelligence are just some of the characteristics that a good teacher possesses.
How to recognize a good teacher?
A good teacher is one whose memory persists in a student’s mind in a positive way. The knowledge that he or she shared, whether academic or personal, has a sobering impact that still manages to inspire, despite the passage of time.
Good teachers are always concerned about making themselves understood in a friendly and gentle way by their students. Sometimes they don’t even need to say a word, they are simply there for their students to provide support at difficult times and help them find solutions.
Good teachers will try not only to talk with parents or guardians about situations that worry them, they will also try to take care of their students within the limits of their responsibility
In addition to the characteristics mentioned above, good teachers have the following skills and attitudes:
- Clarity in dialogue. They explain things in a clear and concise manner that allows for a good relationship with students, parents and guardians.
- Pro-activity. Good teachers focus on finding solutions to problems.
- They don’t give up. They try to surpass themselves at work in order to give their best to their students without wearing themselves out.
- Doubt is their best ally. This characteristic allows them to develop critical thinking capacities. Good teachers know that asking questions is important and useful for their students.
- They value their students, not only for their grades but also for their effort and qualities.
- Good teachers analyze themselves and review their strategies as many times as necessary.
- They know that at the end of the day, the way the message is transmitted is as important as the message itself.
In the classroom
Good teachers teach their students to look at problems from different points of view in order to find the best solutions.
They never leave their work half-done. They always try to find the best solutions even though it may be difficult at first.
It’s important to keep the class motivated and attentive. How is this done? by asking questions, telling stories and playing games, etc.
If a good teacher sees that a student isn’t integrating properly, they don’t force them to. Instead, they try to find out what is going on and what they can do to help.
In other words, they try to make their students feel good in the classroom. They make sure that their students take something from activities regardless of whether they decide to participate actively or not.
Likewise, good teachers know that they must maintain a fresh, pleasant, cordial and respectful relationship with their students.
Although teachers are human beings and they have problems like everyone else, they know how to make the classroom a healthy environment for learning.
Good teachers must be able to share knowledge authentically and also through the use of pedagogic tools.
Good teachers can appear at any moment in time. They may appear during preschool, elementary, adolescence or even adulthood.
They may not even have to give classes directly in order to impact a person’s life. They can have an impact on a person’s life by teaching their siblings or children.