New Technologies Have Created New Study Methods
New technologies have created valuable tools to enhance our current ways of learning and studying. These tools will help you gain new knowledge and teach, and also improve motivation and productivity. Thus, integrating these new study methods into our schools is a must.
This is a very interesting subject because new methods should adapt to the way you learn, not the other way around. For some students, it helps to do summaries; while for others, they learn better by listening or watching.
So, before you choose a new study method, analyze what works best for you. If you do this, you’ll be able to gain a lot more from it.
New study methods by new technologies
Gaining or improving learning abilities
On the one hand, there are many learning platforms, such as skillshare.com or masterclass.com, that offer online classes taught by the best teachers and people from many different areas. There, you can find experts in photography, painters, or great chefs, just to name a few. This way you can become self-taught, do your own research, knowing that you’re learning from the best.
As an illustrated guide, you have Wikihow. It has more than 150,000 guides and tutorials with detailed information about almost anything.
Another great way to learn online is with MOOCs (Massive Open Online Course). These are open courses – most are free, and taught by universities like Harvard or Stanford.
Put your tools in order
New technologies can help us create new study methods. But when it comes to saving all of your resources and data from online courses, where do you store them?
Nowadays, there are cloud storage sites like Google Drive and Dropbox to save and classify files, pictures, drawings, homework, etc. This is a great way to have everything you need on hand and tidy. This will make it easier to concentrate and save time when you need to study.
Planning is a study method in itself
Planning your study time and following a schedule can help you be less stressed. Calendars 5 from Readdle is a crowd favorite because it makes it easier to separate tasks. On the other hand, you can connect Google’s Calendar to your email account. This is great because you don’t need to go from app to app.
Putting your tools in order helps you keep track of your progress and as a result, this will give you more motivation to go on. You can also time yourself and take advantage of your time.
A good method for this is the Pomodoro Technique. This technique divides your time into 25-minute intervals, with 5-minute breaks in between. This keeps your mind clear and offers your brain time to relax and keep its focus.
Verify what you’ve learned
To make sure you’re studying what you need to learn, there are a few apps and social media that can help you. These are some suggestions to study online.
- Skype. Video calls can help bring students closer to their teachers and make teaching more personal. This helps break geographical barriers. On the other hand, the teacher can know what you need and what your weaknesses are, and work on those.
- Twitter. Yes, you may think that social media can be a distraction from studies. However, if you focus on learning, you could expose your ideas and create debates related to your study subject.
- YouTube. There are many tutorials to help you visualize learning and retain information better. As the saying goes, “a picture is worth a thousand words.”
- Blogs. Creating blogs where you can talk about what you saw in class, will make you try harder to understand and, thus, communicate what you’ve learned. This way, it’ll make it easier for you to retain knowledge.
- Video games. There are many apps you can use to create quiz-like games online, like Kahoot.it, for example. Video games can stimulate your creativity.
New technologies have created new study methods, but they have also improved the study methods you already knew. Just by combining the old with the new, you can improve your academic performance and ability to learn.