Almond Milk and Its Benefits During Pregnancy
During the gestation period, it’s very common for women to ingest certain specific foods. Some of them, such as almond milk, can be beneficial for the development of the fetus and for the health of the pregnant woman. Taking care of your diet during this stage is essential.
There are some elements that are totally forbidden, such as alcohol, and others that are recommended in order to face the gestational process. Almond milk is one of them. Its flavor is similar to that of normal milk, although it’s plant-based and its aroma is lighter.
It can be found in any supermarket and it’s becoming increasingly popular. This liquid is a source of vitamins and calcium. It stimulates the physical and cognitive growth of the fetus and can be incorporated into your dietary routine without problems.
What are the benefits of almond milk?
Although its appearance is relatively new, it’s often recommended by doctors and specialists. Anyone can benefit from its intake, but it’s especially recommended for pregnant women.
- It’s a source of protein. Almond milk has proteins in its composition. These are necessary for the formation of healthy tissues and fats, which will help the fetus in the development of its nervous system. However, they’re proteins of low biological value, lacking in essential amino acids.
- Controls fatigue and dizziness. During pregnancy, it’s common for mothers to suffer from dizziness and vomiting. This feeling of discomfort is perfectly normal and can be alleviated with various remedies. One of them is almond milk, as it helps to control nausea.
- High vitamin content. A glass of almond milk provides B vitamins, folic acid, iron, and magnesium. These elements help fight anemia that usually appears during the fourth or fifth month of gestation. Iron and magnesium also help regulate estrogens, which are responsible for maintaining high energy levels and good moods in pregnant women. In addition, folic acid is essential in order to prevent developmental problems in the fetus, as stated in a study published in the journal Annales D’Endocrinologie.
- Facilitates digestion. It’s possible for stomach problems to arise during this stage. A highly recommended drink to alleviate symptoms is this type of milk, as it helps to improve intestinal transit.
- Calcium is essential for the development of the baby’s bones. Almond drink is a very simple way to consume calcium. This element is very important because, according to specialists, it stimulates the strength of the bones of the fetus and the mother.
What you should know before drinking almond milk
While it is true that almond milk is a great nutritional food, not everyone should consume it. This may be due to an allergy to nuts, so it is necessary to consult with the doctor.
On the other hand, some research carried out in Holland by the University of Utrecht has assured that there is a common variable between the intake of nuts during gestation and the baby’s asthma. Due to the lack of contrasting evidence, many specialists prefer to maintain their original position. They consider that almonds are a fundamental food in the diet of a pregnant woman and that their prohibition would be wrong.
Ideas for drinking almond milk
Almond milk can be consumed in different ways. There are some pregnant women who prefer to drink it in the form of smoothies or juices, mixed with other elements that are more appealing to them. This doesn’t eliminate or reduce the contributions of milk, so there’s no problem in ingesting it in the way you want.
First of all, there’s the typical intake; that is, drinking almond milk as is. It’s important to note that this can either be prepared at home or purchased ready-made at the supermarket. You can drink it like any other type of liquid and you can make it a part of your family’s diet. Its taste is slightly sweet, so it won’t be unpleasant when combined with other liquids or foods.
Secondly, you can use it to prepare shakes and smoothies. This means that almond milk can be combined with fruits and other ingredients. Depending on the tastes of each person, one ingredient or another will be added. It’s best to try several recipes until you find the one you like best.
One of the most popular almond milkshakes is the famous banana and almond milkshake, with sugar or vanilla to taste. A touch of cinnamon can also be added. This shake has become popular because of its high energy value. On the other hand, you can always enjoy almond milk for breakfast by drinking it with cereal or toast.
Almond milk, a healthy alternative
Almond milk can be a healthy alternative to cow’s milk. However, despite its properties, it’s essential to read its nutritional labeling before buying it. You need to avoid products containing added sugars, as these can worsen the nutritional quality of the milk.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Valentin M., Mazeau PC., Zerah M., Ceccaldi PF., et al., Acid folic and pregnancy: a mandatory supplementation. Ann Endocrinol, 2018. 79 (2): 91-94.
- Vannuci L., Fossi C., Quattrini S., Guasti L., et al., Calcium intake in bone health: a focus on calcium rich mineral waters. Nutrients, 2018.