4 Calcium-Rich Recipes for the Second Trimester
Food is important at all times but even more so during pregnancy. When it comes to nutrition, calcium is a nutrient that stands out for its importance during pregnancy. Read along to find out how to incorporate it into your diet with the following calcium-rich recipes for your second trimester.
Calcium performs important functions in the human body. It"s in charge of the formation of both bones and teeth and as a result, its deficiency can lead to diseases and bone malformations. It also contributes towards the healthy functioning of the circulatory, nervous and muscular systems.
Calcium during pregnancy
Due to the reasons that we previously mentioned, calcium is important for everybody, however, it"s especially important for a child"s development. A pregnant woman is able to transmit all of the necessary nutrients for survival to their fetus through the placenta. Calcium is one of the important nutrients that is passed to the fetus through the placenta.
What foods should I eat to incorporate calcium into my diet?
Calcium can be found in the following foods:
- Dairy products
- Fruits: oranges, figs, olives, kiwi, raspberry
- Leafy greens: lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, swiss chard
The calcium-rich recipes listed below contain the above ingredients to make delicious dishes that will help you incorporate calcium into your diet during your second trimester.
Calcium-rich recipes for the second trimester
These calcium-rich recipes are different from recipes recommended during the first trimester of pregnancy due to their increased caloric content. Since the baby"s growth begins to accelerate during the second trimester, mothers will need extra “fuel" to cope.
- 5 eggs
- Olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 broccoli bouquet
- Wash and dry the broccoli, afterwards, separate it into small pieces. Make sure to remove the hard stem.
- Put the broccoli in a pot with boiling water and salt. Cook until soft.
- Chop the garlic and parsley and add them into a pan with hot oil and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the pan and sauté.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and then season them to taste before adding the product to the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook until the eggs curdle.
- Flip over and cook the other side of the omelette.
- Serve with a tomato salad.
There are many different recipes that help to provide calcium during the second trimester of pregnancy, try the one you like the most.
Yogurt with cheese, crackers and nuts
- 5 raspberries
- 1 handful of nuts
- 2 Greek yogurt packets
- Your favorite crackers
- 4 tablespoons of cream cheese
- Crush the crackers: place them in a closed plastic bag and roll them until they disintegrate.
- Place the cracker powder in a bottom of a glass with the nuts.
- Mix in the yogurt, cheese and a bit of vanilla extract.
- Serve with a topping of cookies and walnuts.
- Decorate the glass with raspberries or other fruits.
Calcium is not only important for women, it"s also important for a child"s development.
- 2 leeks
- 4 salmon fillets
- 3/4 cup of liquid cream
- 1 pinch of cardamom
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 and a half cups of orange juice
- Wash and cut the leeks into slices.
- Brown the salmon for a minute per side in a pan with oil over low heat.
- Take out the salmon, add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and fry the leeks with a pinch of salt. Cook for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Add the cream the orange, lemon juice and sugar. Cook for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Add the cream, cardamom and cook for two minutes over medium heat.
- Add the salmon and cook until well done.
- This dish can be accompanied by the garnish of your choosing.
Scrambled eggs and spinach
- 2 eggs
- Cream cheese
- Olive oil
- 1 packet of spinach
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- Wash and cut the spinach into small pieces
- Beat two eggs in a bowl, add the cream cheese and stir.
- Add the flour and spices
- Fry the egg mixture in a pan with a little bit of oil over medium heat while stirring constantly.
- When the liquid of the eggs begin to dry up, add the spinach.
As you can see, there are many calcium-rich recipes which are perfect for the second trimester and will help you feel more comfortable with your pregnancy. Invest your energy in healthy food!It might interest you...