Comforting Soup Recipes for Cold, Rainy Days
When cold weather comes around and skies are grey, what could be better than a warm serving of comforting soup? The perfect combination of flavors and the heat emanating from the bowl are just what you need as you cozy up in a warm blanket and watch the rain fall outside your window.
One of the important factors when it comes to making soup is to use ingredients that add flavor. And, if possible, you should always use ingredients that are in season. Below, you’ll find the best components you can include in your soups.
- Vegetables and leafy greens: These offer vitamins and minerals to your soups and also add juiciness, given their water content. These ingredients will serve as the base for your soup, along with chicken, fish, or beef stock.
- Root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, or parsnip), which give your soup a thicker texture. Plain yogurt is also a good option to make your soup even creamier.
- Legumes, chicken, beef, or fish as a complete source of protein.
- Add spices and aromatic herbs.
- Use extra virgin olive oil.
- Add a final touch of seeds, cooked and chopped egg, chopped or sliced nuts, a splash of oil, a spoonful of yogurt or Granada, etc. You’ll be surprised by the texture and find the soup even more appetizing.
Comforting soup recipes
Cream of squash, parsnip, and ginger soup
- 4.5 cups of butternut squash, cubed.
- 1 or 2 parsnips.
- Onion (optional).
- Fresh ginger.
- Extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.
First of all, peel your squash and remove the seeds. Then, wash and peel your parsnips. Once you’re done with that, prepare a large pot of water and boil the parsnips for 15 minutes, then strain. Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan and brown the squash until it’s soft. If you want, mix with 1/4 of an onion, sautéed.
Finally, place all of the vegetables in a large pot. Then, add a pinch of salt and pepper along with a bit of grated ginger (peeled) to add flavor. Serve in a bowl and sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds on top for decoration .
Fennel, carrot, and leek soup with rice – another comforting soup for cold, rainy days
- 1 fennel bulb.
- 1 leek.
- 3 carrots.
- 1/3 cup of rice per person.
First, wash all of the vegetables with water and remove stems. Then, place the fennel, leek, and carrots in a pot with water and allow them to boil until they become soft. Once they’re ready, remove the vegetables from the water and set them aside to cool. Save the water for later!
At the same time, boil a pot of water in which you’ll cook your rice. The rice should take about 10 to 20 minutes to cook completely, whether it’s white or whole grain. Once your vegetables are cold, cut them into cubes and then add the ingredients to the water you used to cook the vegetables.
Cream of garbanzo, zucchini, and pecans
- 1 zucchini.
- 2 cups of cooked garbanzo beans.
- Vegetable stock.
- 1/4 cup of pecans.
- A pinch of nutmeg.
- Smoked sweet paprika.
First, boil the zucchini in a pot of water for at least 5 or 10 minutes. Make sure it’s soft by poking it with a fork.
Next, add the garbanzo, zucchini, and pecans to the blender. Then, add a pit of vegetable stock and a pinch of nutmeg and salt. Blend well and add more vegetable stock until you reach the desired texture. Decorate with a few pecans and a dash of paprika.
Onion, pepper, carrot, and tofu soup
- Vegetable stock.
- 1 onion.
- 1 red pepper.
- 2 carrots.
- 1 cup of tofu.
First, wash the pepper and carrot. Then, peel the onion and cut it into strips. Next, remove the seeds and stem from your pepper and cut it into thin strips. Do the same with your carrot and then add all of the ingredients to your stock and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, strain your block of tofu with paper towel, pressing with your hands or a cutting board. Cut it into cubes and add to the pot. Leave it until all of the ingredients are soft, and don’t forget to add salt.
In conclusion, if you’re cold and hungry, then it’s the perfect opportunity to enjoy these warm and comforting soup recipes. And don’t forget to use your imagination and create your own recipes, applying the tips we provided at the beginning of this article.
And remember, you’ll be boosting your defenses as well as your energy levels!