Oatmeal Recipes for Babies and Their Benefits
Oatmeal recipes for babies are an excellent way to include high-quality carbohydrates and fiber in the diet of the little ones.
We’re talking about one of the best cereals available and therefore, today we’re going to teach you a recipe to get the most out of them and optimize the nutrition of children. Take note!
How to prepare oatmeal for babies
Keep in mind that the oat flakes that are recommended for giving to little ones are those that are natural. With this in mind, it may be best to opt for those with an organic certification.
Similarly, in the case of using formula milk, you need to check the labeling to ensure that they don’t contain added sugars.
If you want to prepare delicious oatmeal for your baby, you’ll only need the following ingredients:
- Oat flakes
- Breast milk or formula
- Fresh fruit
Step by step instructions
- First, put the flakes in a food processor to blend and grind them into the finest flour possible.
- Reserve the result in a container and whenever possible, opt for those with an airtight seal. This way, you’ll be able to better conserve the part that’s left over for future elaborations.
- Measure the quantities of the ingredients to be used well: Only one part of oatmeal should be used for every 2 parts of breast milk or formula.
- Put both ingredients in a saucepan and heat the preparation over low heat for about 3 minutes. Stir constantly to avoid sticking or burning.
- When the preparation reaches a dense texture, like a paste, sweeten it with the shredded apple or a banana. If you use fruit, the preparation will offer several additional health benefits for your little one.
Benefits of oatmeal recipes for babies’ health
As we mentioned, oatmeal recipes for babies have several positive effects on their health.
The first of these has to do with the presence of beta glucans in the cereal, a type of soluble fiber that stimulates the growth of beneficial bacteria in the microbiota. In the medium term, this translates into various benefits on digestive capacity, as shown in a study published in The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry.
Furthermore, this fiber is capable of increasing the volume of the fecal bolus, which causes greater activation of the intestinal mechanoreceptors. This way, more intense peristaltic movements are produced, which favor a more efficient intestinal transit and limit the risk of constipation.
In addition, oat porridge has a significant protein content. These nutrients are essential for the correct growth and development of all body tissues. It’s important to emphasize its consumption during all the stages of life, but especially in early infancy and in puberty.
Prepare oatmeal recipes for babies
As you’ve been able to verify, it’s really simple to prepare oatmeal recipes for babies. Only a couple of ingredients are necessary to obtain an exquisite and nutritious result. However, in the case of using formula milk, you always need to choose a brand that guarantees quality, without added sugars or other additives that damage the intestinal microbiota.
Finally, don’t forget that up to one year of life, it’s key to maintain breastfeeding. This is the best food that can be given to little ones.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Jayachandran, M., Chen, J., Chung, S., & Xu, B. (2018). A critical review on the impacts of β-glucans on gut microbiota and human health. The Journal of nutritional biochemistry, 61, 101–110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2018.06.010
- Vriesman, M. H., Koppen, I., Camilleri, M., Di Lorenzo, C., & Benninga, M. A. (2020). Management of functional constipation in children and adults. Nature reviews. Gastroenterology & hepatology, 17(1), 21–39. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41575-019-0222-y