Potato and Tuna Fish Cakes: Ideal for Your Children's Dinner
Potato and tuna cakes are an excellent alternative for dinner for your little ones. Not only do they provide a good amount of essential nutrients to ensure good growth and development, but they’re also easy to prepare. With the tips we’re going to give you, you’ll get an incredible result at an organoleptic level that children will accept willingly.
Before starting, keep in mind that the presence of oily fish in the diet is recommended by most nutrition experts. These foods provide a good amount of unsaturated fatty acids, which help modulate inflammatory states in the internal environment.
Having said all this, let’s get cooking!
Tuna and potato cakes recipe
If you want to prepare delicious potato and tuna cakes, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 10 0z. of boiled potatoes
- 5 ounces of canned tuna
- 1 tablespoon of cooked corn kernels
- The green part of a spring onion
- 1 egg
- The zest of a lemon
- To begin, boil the whole potatoes with water and salt for about 25 minutes, until they’re very tender.
- Then, peel them and mash them with a fork until you get a homogeneous mashed texture. Place it in a bowl and add the contents of the drained tuna cans, with the fish well shredded.
- Mix the ingredients little by little so that they blend correctly.
- Then, add the egg and the corn kernels to the bowl. Also, add the lemon zest to add flavor. This way, you’ll get a dough that’s ready to fill with the finely chopped spring onion and a tablespoon of breadcrumbs (which will make it thicker).
- To continue, form balls and flatten them with your hands until they look like hamburgers.
- Roll the patties in breadcrumbs and fry them in a frying pan with little oil. When they come out of the pan, transfer them to absorbent kitchen paper and serve them.
The benefits of tuna and potato cakes
As we’ve already mentioned, tuna and potato cakes have several health benefits. It’s worth mentioning their content in omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients are very important to control inflammatory mechanisms in the internal environment and prevent the development of disease.
According to a study published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences, regular consumption of these nutrients reduces the incidence of cardiovascular diseases.
Moreover, tuna and potato cakes can provide very good quality energy, as they contain complex carbohydrates. These are important for improving recovery after intense physical exertion, as they promote the synthesis of lost glycogen, especially when administered with proteins. This is evidenced by research published in the journal Nutrients.
Make potato and tuna cakes at home!
As you’ve seen, it’s very easy to make delicious potato and tuna cakes to eat at dinner or at any main meal. It’s a good way to increase the presence of fish in the diet of children, something that will help maintain good health over the years. In fact, many nutrition experts are beginning to prioritize the consumption of these foods over red meat.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Innes, J. K., & Calder, P. C. (2020). Marine Omega-3 (N-3) Fatty Acids for Cardiovascular Health: An Update for 2020. International journal of molecular sciences, 21(4), 1362. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21041362
- Alghannam, A. F., Gonzalez, J. T., & Betts, J. A. (2018). Restoration of Muscle Glycogen and Functional Capacity: Role of Post-Exercise Carbohydrate and Protein Co-Ingestion. Nutrients, 10(2), 253. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10020253