Tasty Recipes for Babies from 9 to 12 Months Old
If you’re having trouble when it comes to thinking about what to cook for your baby, these tasty recipes and their variants can be a huge help.
These recipes will also help them get used to eating vegetables from an early age.
During the last quarter of the first year of life, the baby has already reached a point of maturity that allows them to incorporate new foods into their diet.
That’s why it’s an ideal time to try these tasty recipes for babies from the age of 9 to 12 months. You’ll see, your child will love these simple recipes!
Since they start expanding their diet around the age of 6 months, your baby should already be used to eating porridge and soup in addition to breast milk.
Therefore, rest assured that you won’t get a lot of resistance when trying out these new recipes.
This doesn’t mean they’ll like all of them. They might reject certain flavors that they’re experiencing for the first time.
Regardless, this is still a great opportunity for you to introduce vegetables to their diet. Give them the opportunity to assimilate them from an early age.
These tasty recipes for children from the age of 9 to 12 months will help you with the task.
Tasty recipes that are easy to prepare
Carrot and potato puree
Logically, most of the food that the baby ingests during this stage should be in the form of porridge or purees.
This is far from a disadvantage; offering them delicious purees is a great way to introduce them to the world of healthy eating habits.
- 100g of peeled potato.
- 1 carrot.
- 100ml of breast milk or formula.
- ½ teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cut the potatoes and carrots into large pieces in order to preserve their minerals. Boil them until soft.
- Mash them up and add milk.
- Add olive oil.
This recipe has many benefits. It contains both vegetables and a source of vitamins and minerals.
You should prepare this meal in moderation since it also contains a lot of starch and carotene.
Rice and chicken
Since they haven’t developed all of their teeth, rice is another food that you can easily introduce to their diet.
One of the best recipes for babies 9 to 12 months old is made by adding shredded chicken to their diet. It is a healthy source of protein.
- 4 carrots
- ½ zucchini
- 1 chive
- ½ chicken breast
- 1 cup of rice
- 4 or 5 cups of water or chicken broth.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chop the vegetables into very small pieces and sauté with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Add and fry the chicken that you previously cut into small cubes, then do the same with the rice.
- Add the water or broth and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Grind it up with enough broth to make a smooth puree that is suitable for the baby.
Chicken is a healthy option for babies since it contains little fat while providing many nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
In addition, babies can digest it easily. It also has a subtle and tasty flavor.
“They might reject certain flavors that they are experiencing for the first time.”
Soups are a classic option when it comes to tasty recipes for babies. They provide babies with a number of benefits thanks to a great variety of vegetables and legumes.
The recipe we’d like to share is for carrot, onion and pea soup. You can also experiment using different ingredients while paying attention to the baby’s reaction to the different tastes.
- 200g of chopped peas.
- 2 sliced carrots.
- 1 small chopped onion.
- 2 sprigs of parsley.
- 1 liter of water.
- Boil the vegetables over low heat for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Strain the broth making sure to remove all the small vegetables that the baby could choke on.
There are two variations to this simple recipe. The first is to achieve thicker consistency. In order to do this simply add rice flour.
The second variation is for when the baby is older. You can make porridge with the vegetable pieces.
Tips for incorporating new foods
Once you stop breastfeeding, you need to introduce new flavors into your baby’s diet little by little. It’s a good idea to combine new elements to flavors that you know they already like.
It’s also a good idea to combine different ingredients and textures in order to prevent their diet from being too monotonous.
These tasty recipes for babies from the age of 9 to 12 months will be a great ally when it comes to expanding your baby’s diet.
Remember that this doesn’t mean you need to stop breastfeeding all at once, it’s better to complement it with other foods.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Barbieri R., Coppo E., Marchese A., Daglia M., et al., Phytochemicals for human disease: an update on plant derived compounds antibacterial activity. Microbiol Res, 2017. 196: 44-68.
- Coos Bu J., Hamilton Reeves J., Patel JJ., Morris CR., et al., Protein requirements of the critically III pediatric patient. Nutr Clin Pract, 2017.