31 Girl Names That Start with the Letter W
As soon as we find out that we’re going to have a baby girl, one of the first things we think about is the perfect name to give her. It’s an important decision, as your daughter’s name will be with her for the rest of her life. And, therefore, it’s a taste that can’t be taken lightly. So, today, we’re going to help you find some inspiration in this list of 31 girl names that start with the letter w.
If what you’re looking for is an original name, be sure to check out this selection. Here you may just find the perfect name for your future daughter. Keep reading and take note of your favorites!
Girl names that start with the letter W
The letter W has its origin in the old Anglo-Saxon alphabet. As it wasn’t found in the Latin alphabet, when this alphabet was adopted in the countries of Europe, they had to add new letters for some sounds that it didn’t include. This is the case of the V and the Y. The W is a repetition of the V, and in English, it’s called “double-U”.
Below, we’re going to see a list of girl names that begin with the letter w, along with their origin and meaning. Don’t miss out!
- Walda: this is a name of German origin and its meaning is “wonderful woman”. It’s a very nice meaning for someone as special as your daughter.
- Valkyrie: this name is of Scandinavian origin and it means “the one who chooses the sacrificial victims”. This name has some variants, which include Valkyria, Valkyria, and Valkyrie.
- Waleska: a name of Slavic origin meaning “glorious lady”.
- Wanda: this is a German name, which comes from wand, which refers to the vandals of the barbarian peoples. It means “the one who protects the vandals”.
- Wan: this unique name is of Chinese origin. Its meaning can be “gentle, beautiful, soft, or pretty”.
- Wara: this name has its origin in the Quechua people and means “star”. If you love astrology, astronomy, or star gazing, this is a perfect option!
- Warakusi: this is another name of Quechua origin and means “happy little star”. What better way to refer to your little one?
- Warayana: of Quechua origin, like the previous names. Its meaning is “brown star” or “the star that comes from afar”.
- Warasisa: this original name also has its origin in the Quechua people and means “the flower that became a star”.
- Wendy: this name is of Celtic origin and is the diminutive form of Gwendolin or Güendolina. It means “the one with the white eyelashes”, although it can also mean “the true friend“. This name has other variants like Wendi, Wen, Wenda, Wendaline.
- Weronikia: this name is Verónicafg in Polish, which means “the one who brings victory”.
- Wilma: this name comes from the union of vilja (“decision, will”) and helm (“protection, helmet”). Vilma is another variation of the same name.
- Winona: this name is of Native American origin, particularly of the Great Sioux Nation, and means “firstborn or older sister”. Some of the variants of this name are Wenona, Wenonah, Winoena, Winonna, Wynnona, Wynona, and Wynonna. You may recognize the name thanks to the famous actress Winona Ryder.
- Wyanet: also of Native American origin, this name means “pretty”. It’s also the name of a village in the state of Illinois.
- Winter: This is the perfect name for a little girl born during the cold winter months!
- Wynne: of Welsh origin, this name means “pure, fair”.
- Wamika: this is a name that comes from the goddess Durga of the Hindu religion.
- Whitney: this name is of Anglo-Saxon origin and its meaning is “white island”.
- Wamil: this name also comes from the Hindi language and means “beautiful”.
- Waverly: a name that comes from Old English and its meaning is “meadow of trembling aspens”. A perfect name if you’re a lover of nature.
- Wasima: an Arabic name meaning “beauty, grace”.
- Waylla: another name of Quechua origin that means “merciful, protective, the one who welcomes you into her home”.
- Wei: a name of Chinese origin, whose meaning is “precious, valuable”.
- Willow: this name is unisex, that is, it can be used for both girls and boys. It’s of English origin and its meaning is “willow”.
- Win: comes from the Welsh Gwenfrewi and means “joy”.
- Winnie: is of Germanic origin and its meaning is a “friend of peace”.
- Winny: of English origin, this name comes from the old whiten, which means “white, island”.
- Wira: a name of Polish origin, whose meaning is “bright, white”.
- Winta: this is an African name derived from the Amharic and Tigrinya languages (Ethiopia and Eritrea, respectively) and means “desire”.
- Wulfilde: a name of German origin, whose meaning is “the one who fights with the wolves”.
- Wübke: a name that comes from old German and means “warrior”.
Choosing your daughter’s name: A unique moment
Choosing the name of our baby is an important decision that all parents give a lot of thought to. And for good reason! It’s the word that will identify your little one for the rest of her life. If you haven’t found the name you were looking for among this list of girl names that start with the letter W, don’t feel discouraged! We have many more options for your to explore on our website, including names that begin with other letters, names of different origins, and even names inspired by flowers, fictional characters, and much more.
The name you choose will be is one of the first gifts you give your child and without a doubt, one of the most important. Therefore, it’s worth finding one that inspires you the most, that you like, or perhaps even one that pays homage to a loved one.
Whatever the case may be, your little girl’s name will be her legacy.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Salazar, S. (2016). El gran libro de los nombres para tu bebé Guía ilustrada de nombres para niño y niña. Barcelona: Planeta.
- DICCIONARIO DE LOS NOMBRES: https://www.fundacionlengua.com/extra/descargas/des_18/CURIOSIDADES/Diccionario-de-los-Nombres.pdf
- SIGNIFICADO DE LOS NOMBRES: https://www.significados-de-nombres.com/w/