15 Quotes About the Benefits of Playing in Childhood
Several authors have written about the importance of playing in childhood. In this article, we’ve compiled a collection of quotes on the subject. We hope you enjoy them!
According to pediatrician Juan Fernando Gómez Ramírez, play is a pleasant, free, and spontaneous activity, which has no specific purpose, but which, in turn, is very useful in a child’s evolutionary development.
It’s worth mentioning that playing is as necessary for growth as eating and sleeping well are. So, as adults, we must allow our children to enjoy playing activities.
Benefits of playing in childhood
Playing in childhood brings multiple benefits for a young child’s development. It can:
- Favor the imagination and creativity.
- Allow the development of a child’s personality.
- Help a child get to know their environment and adapt to it.
- Enhance social skills and communication.
- Favor the creation of bonds between equals.
- Promote observation, interest, and curiosity.
- Exercise attention and concentration.
- Enhances memory.
- Promotes the resolution of conflicts in a positive way.
- Reduces stress and anxiety.
- Regulates emotions and feelings.
- Promotes cooperation and collaboration.
- Increases self-confidence.
- Strengthens and enhances self-esteem.
Therefore, we can say that playing is an ideal pedagogical and educational resource for learning. This is because children have fun while, at the same time, developing and stimulating their cognitive, physical, emotional, and socio-affective capacities.
Quotes about the importance of playing during childhood
Here are some famous quotes that support the idea that playing in childhood is fundamental:
- “Playing is a child’s main activity and it provides for the child’s need to look, touch, investigate, experiment, invent, imagine, learn, express, communicate, create, and dream.” – Imma Marin
- “Children need a lot of freedom to investigate, try things out, make mistakes, correct themselves, and appreciate the infinite resources of their senses of touch, sight, and hearing, as well as the importance of sounds and colors.” – Loris Malaguzzi
- “A child’s world of play is as real and important to them as the world of work is to adults. So, we must grant them the same dignity.” – Bruno Bettelheim
- “Children need food and water to survive, but they need love and play to live.” –Resurrecting Childhood
- “Children need freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity.” – Kay Renfield Jamieson
- “Playing gives children the opportunity to practice what they have learned.” –Fred Rogers
- “Play is often spoken of as a break from serious learning. But for children, play is a fundamental part of serious learning.” – Fred Rogers
More quotes on the importance of play
- “While playing, children always behave beyond their own ages, and their normal behavior. When they’re playing, it’s like they’re bigger than they really are.” – Lev Vygotsky
- “Playing keeps us alive and full of energy. It gives us an enthusiasm for life that is irreplaceable. Without it, life has a bitter taste.” – Lucia Capocchione
- “All of life’s most important learning is done through play.” – Francesco Tonucci
- “Play is the highest form of research.” – Albert Einstein
- “Children play as they live, and by playing they learn to live.” – José Martí
- “Play is part of a child’s intelligence because it represents the functional or reproductive assimilation of reality according to each individual’s evolutionary stage.” – Jean Piaget
- “Only by playing is the child able to be creative and use their personality to the fullest.” – Bernard Aucouturier
- “Children’s games are not really games, but, rather, their most serious activities.” – Michel de Montaigne
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- García, P. S. (2019). La importancia del juego y sus beneficios en las áreas de desarrollo infantil. Voces de la Educación. https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02516612/
- González-Moreno, C. X. (2022). Importancia del juego temático de roles sociales en la edad preescolar. Revista Latinoamericana de Estudios Educativos (México), 52(1), 299-320. https://www.redalyc.org/journal/270/27068693011/html/
- Gómez-Ramírez, J. F. (2014). El juego infantil y su importancia en el desarrollo. Educación Inicial. Fundación Carlos Slim.
- Zamorano, M. M., Abad, M. E. M., Hernández, M. J. H., Herrera, C. Q., & de la Fuente, E. P. (2019). La importancia del juego en los niños. Canarias pediatrica, 43(1), 31-35. https://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/articulo?codigo=7186932