104 Girl Names that Begin with the Letter Y
Are you looking for a name that sounds good, that sounds good with your last name, and that conveys a special charisma for your daughter? Do you have a favorite letter? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then we’re here to help you out! In this article, we’ve prepared a list of girls’ names that begin with the letter Y.
As a new member of the family will soon arrive, it’s good that you start to get certain things organized. But do it at your own pace because it’s best that you take it easy. We know that you’re feeling happy and, at the same time, you’re worried about everything you have to do: Setting up the baby’s room, preparing their clothes, selecting toys… and choosing a name!
Luckily, on our site, you’ll find a great variety of names. The search doesn’t have to be complicated and it would be nice to be able to share it with your family and your other children. Since you already have the idea of looking for girl names that start with the letter Y, here are some of them.
A list of the best girl names that begin with the letter Y
The letter Y was introduced to the Latin alphabet in the middle of the first century BC, with the name of the Greek “i” or “ye”. Actually, according to experts in Etymology at the University of Chile, its origin is much older, being found in alphabets such as Phoenician and Greek alphabets, where it was called ypsilon.
In English, the letter Y can be used as both a consonant or a vowel.
Here are some ideas for girl names that begin with the letter Y with different origins and meanings. We hope you find the perfect name for your daughter here!
Girl names that begin with the letter Y: With Ya-
- Yadira: of Latin origin, it means “she who possesses great intuition”.
- Yaffa: a feminine name of Hebrew origin meaning ‘very beautiful’.
- Yaira: of Hebrew origin, it means “to illuminate”.
- Yaiza: of Arabic origin, it means ‘rainbow, a person who shares everything’.
- Yakira: derived from Hebrew, it means ‘dear and beloved’.
- Yalens: of Russian origin, a variant of Elena, meaning ‘light’.
- Yalid: of Arabic origin, meaning ‘pretty flower of the field’.
- Yalitza: of Hindu origin, meaning ‘light, power, imagination’.
- Yamal: of Arabic origin, it means “beauty”.
- Yamanik: of Aztec origin, this name means “emerald”.
- Yamila: of Arabic origin, it means “beautiful flower of the desert”.
- Yamina: of Arabic origin, this name means “propitious”.
- Yanai: of Quechua origin, it means means “my little brunette, my beloved”.
- Yanara: of Mapuche origin, this name means “daughter of the sun”.
- Yanel: of French origin, it means “channel”.
- Yanela: of Brazilian origin, it means “window”.
- Yaneli: of American origin, this is a variant of Jeannette or Jane, meaning “God has had mercy”.
- Yaneth: of Hebrew origin, this is a variant of Joan, meaning “God is propitious”.
- Yanil: an Arabic name meaning ‘kind’.
- Yankiray: of Mapuche origin, it means “stone flower, lily”.
- Yannick: of French origin, a variant of Juana, meaning “God’s grace”.
- Yannis: of Hebrew origin, it’s used for both boys and girls, and means “gift from God”.
- Yarah: of Brazilian origin, it means “woman of the water”.
- Yarazeth: of Arabic origin, this name means “friendship”.
- Yarden: of Hebrew origin, it means “to descend”.
- Yarely: of American Indian origin, means “the Lord is my light”.
- Yareni: of Aztec origin, it means “ours”.
- Yaretzi: of Aztec origin, meaning “she who will always be loved”.
List of names for girls: from Ya- to Ye
- Yari: of Russian origin, this is the diminutive of Yarine, which means “calm”.
- Yariela: of American origin, it’s a variant of Mariela, which means “the chosen star”.
- Yaritza: of American origin, it’s the combination of Yana (charming) and Ritsa (protective).
- Yaroslava: this name comes from Slavic languages and is very popular in Russia. The word refers to ‘spring glory’.
- Yasamin: a variant of Yasmin, in Iranian.
- Yashila: of Hindu origin, meaning ‘famous’.
- Yashira: of Arabic origin, meaning ‘wealth’.
- Yasmin: an Arabic name of Persian origin, meaning ‘jasmine flower’.
- Yasna: of Hebrew origin, this is the name of a goddess.
- Yasu: of Japanese origin, it means ‘calm’.
- Yatzary: of Aztec origin, it means “wheat spikelet”.
- Yatzil: of Mayan origin, this means “beloved”.
- Yatziri: of Mayan origin, this name means “flower of the dew or maiden of the moon”.
- Yaxha: an American name that means “green water”.
- Yedda: of English origin, it means “beautiful voice”.
- Yei: of Japanese origin, it means “to bloom”.
- Yejide: of African origin, this word is used to say that the girl is the ‘image of the mother’ in the Yoruba language.
- Yekaterina: a Russian form of Katherine, meaning ‘chaste and pure’.
- Yelena: a Russian variation of Helen, meaning ‘torch light’.
- Yelitza: of Aztec origin, meaning the ‘gate of heaven’.
- Yemima: derived from the Hebrew name Jemima.
- Yeni: of Chinese origin, it means ‘longed for, desired’.
- Yentl: of Israeli origin, it means “gentle, kind”.
- Yerma: a name created by Federico García Lorca for the protagonist of one of his dramas with the same title.
- Yeruti: of Guarani origin, it means “turtledove”.
- Yesenia: of Arabic origin, it refers to a type of flower.
- Yeter: this name comes from the Turkish language and its meaning is ‘adequate’.
- Yetlanezi: of Nahuatl origin, it means “aurora borealis”.
- Yetzye: of Hebrew origin, meaning ‘life’.
- Yeva: a Russian variant of Eva, a Hebrew name meaning ‘to live and breathe’.
- Yexalen: of Mayan origin, meaning ‘star’.
Girl names that begin with the letter Y: from Yi- to Yo-
- Yilda: of Celtic origin, this name means “she who serves God”.
- Yin: of Chinese origin, it means ‘silver, educated’.
- Ylenia: of Greek origin, this is a variant of Helena (Ilenia). It means “she who’s shining and attractive like the sun”.
- Yoana: a Bulgarian version of Juana, it means ‘God is merciful’.
- Yohualli: of Nahuatl origin, this name means “feather”.
- Yoi: of Japanese origin, this name means ‘born in the afternoon’.
- Yoki: of Japanese origin, it means “blue bird”.
- Yoko: a Japanese feminine name that refers to the ‘son of the sun’.
- Yolanda: of Germanic origin and derived from Wioland, a word formed by ‘wiol’ which means wealth or possession, and ‘land’ country or land. Therefore, it0s understood as the ‘land of riches’.
- Yolima: of Greek origin, it means “good and honest woman”.
- Yoliztli: of Nahuatl origin, this name means ‘white’.
- Yon: of Korean origin, it means “lotus flower”.
- Yona: a unisex name of Hebrew origin meaning ‘dove’.
- Yonca: derived from the Turkish language, this name means ‘clover’.
From Yo- to Yu-
- Yone: of Greek origin, it’s a name that means ‘violet’.
- Yordan: of Hebrew origin, this is a variant of Jordan, which refers to the Jordan River in the southeast of the country.
- Yoriko: of Japanese origin, it means “trustworthy”.
- Yoshiko: a Japanese girl’s name meaning ‘child of joy’.
- Yoshino: of Japanese origin, meaning ‘dense beauty’.
- Yovela: of Hebrew origin, meaning ‘joyful’.
- Ysolt: a French version of Isolde, a Germanic name referring to the one who ‘fights the ice battle’.
- Yua: of Japanese origin, it means “empathy, union, love, affection”.
- Yuana: of Hebrew origin, a variant of Juana, meaning “God’s grace”.
- Yuga: of Chinese origin, meaning “friendly, affable”.
- Yuji: of Japanese origin, it means “great being, brave, friend of her friends”.
- Yukie: of Arabic origin, this name means “eternal happiness”.
- Yukiko: of Japanese origin, means “snow girl”.
- Yuko: of Japanese origin, this name means “graceful girl”.
Very original names for girls starting with Yu-
- Yuliana: a Russian variant of Juliana.
- Yulene: of Norwegian origin, it means “born at Christmas”.
- Yumara: of Arabic origin, this name means “Arabian princess”.
- Yumei: of Japanese origin, means “dream”.
- Yumi: of Japanese origin, means “bow, beauty”.
- Yuna: of Japanese origin, means “power”.
- Yuni: of English origin, a variant of June.
- Yurak: of Quechua origin, meaning “white”.
- Yurena: of Canary origin, it was the name of a goddess of La Palma, to whom mystical powers were attributed. It means “daughter of the devil”.
- Yuri: of Japanese origin, this name means ‘lily flower’.
- Yuria: of Quechua origin, it means “dawn”.
- Yuriko: of Japanese origin, this name means ‘little lily or lily girl’.
- Yuritzi: of Mayan origin, she’s the goddess of the moonbeam.
- Yustina: a Russian form of Justine, a Latin feminine name meaning ‘one who is just’.
- Yvaiene: of Scottish origin, it means ‘morning star’.
- Yvette: of French origin and comes from the old name Ivo.
- Yvonne: a feminine form of Yves, a French name derived from the Germanic Ivo.
Different ways to choose a name
Did you like the names on the list? All of them are original and have unique meanings. Let your intuition guide you and, without a doubt, you’ll make the best decision.
The moment of choosing your girl’s name is very important and will surely mark her life. It’s a token of love and the first gift you’ll give her and, no doubt, you want it to be unique and special. One way to find out if the name is very popular, you can visit this website.
You can start your search with this list of girls’ names that begin with the letter Y, but you have many more options. Besides opting for a particular letter, you can see names of different origins (Roman, Germanic, Hebrew, etc.) and others related to literature or nature.
However you choose to do it, you’ll surely find what you’re looking for: That perfect name that will accompany your little girl every day for the rest of her life.It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Faure, Roberto. (2002). Diccionario de nombres propios. Editorial Espasa Calpe. España.
- INE. (s.f.). Apellidos y nombres más frecuentes. Consultado 28 de abril 2023. https://www.ine.es/dyngs/INEbase/es/operacion.htm?c=Estadistica_C&cid=1254736177009&menu=resultados&idp=1254734710990
- Salazar, S. (2016). El gran libro de los nombres para tu bebé Guía ilustrada de nombres para niño y niña. Barcelona: Planeta.
- G.M.Z. (s.f.). Diccionario de los nombres. Fundación Lengua. Buenos Aires, Argentina. Consultado 28 de abril 2023. https://www.fundacionlengua.com/extra/descargas/des_18/CURIOSIDADES/Diccionario-de-los-Nombres.pdf
- EtimologíaDeChile. (s.f.). Y, origen de la letra. Consultado 28 de abril 2023. https://etimologias.dechile.net/?Y
- Shakespeare, W. (1997). Otelo – Romeo y Julieta. Andres Bello. https://books.google.es/books?id=xqm3LGeymTgC&dq=El+buen+nombre+es+la+joya+m%C3%A1s+inmediata+a+las+almas%3B+el+que+hurta+mi+buen+nombre,+me+arrebata+una+cosa+que+no+lo+enriquece+y+me+deja+pobre+de+verdad%C2%BB.&lr=&hl=es&source=gbs_navlinks_s