The Origin and Meaning of the Name Naomi
Are you looking for an eye-catching, pretty, powerful name that’s full of personality for your baby girl? In this article, we’ll show you the origin and meaning of the name Naomi, an option present in the Old Testament and considered symbolic for girls. Its correct pronunciation is Nay-oh-mee.
You’re sure to love the name Noemi, which has two origins, one Hebrew and the other Japanese. Would you like to know more about it? Keep reading!
Know the origin and meaning of Naomi
Naomi means “beautiful” in Hebrew, although it also represents the words “pleasant” or “delight.” The following phrases are also added to the list of meanings: “my delight,” “she who has charm,” “she who is sweet,” and “she who is joyful.”
It’s a Jewish name that’s present in the Bible. Naomi was Ruth’s mother-in-law in the Old Testament, which is why it’s considered symbolic and is usually given to girls in celebration of the holiday of Shavuot.
However, this way of naming girls has a second origin. On the one hand, it’s believed to be Hebrew but, on the other hand, it has a Japanese origin, whose meaning is the same. For Asians, this name is unisex and means “straight” and “beautiful.”
The name Naomi started to be used more frequently during the 20th century and became more popular a century later. However, since 2010, it has remained among the top 100 names preferred by parents to name their girls.
It reached its peak popularity in 2020 and is now ranked 52nd on the list of catchiest names in the United States. Meanwhile, in Israel, it ranks 31st, and, in the Netherlands, 75th. Its rise is thought to be due to the influence of celebrities Naomi Campbell and Naomi Watts.
Variations of the name Naomi
You may have heard the name Naomi in other languages. Below, we’ll show you some of the variations of this name:
- Spanish: Noemí
- Irish: Náoimí
- Belgian: Naomé
- Haitian: Nahomie
- French: Noemí /Noémie /Noemy
- Portuguese: Noémia
- Finnish: Noomie
Famous women named Naomi
Many women in public life are named Naomi and, thanks to them, this name has spread to all corners of the world. Let’s see who they are!
- Naomi Campbell: British actress, businesswoman, and model with a great career on the catwalks of clothing and accessories. She was declared by critics as a supermodel of her generation.
- Naomi Watts: British actress known for her roles in the films 21 Grams, King Kong, and The Impossible, among others.
- Naomi Grace: Indo-British actress, model, and singer.
- Naomi Biden: She’s the granddaughter of the President of the United States, Joe Biden. Her mother also bore the same name.
- Naomi Osaka: Japanese professional tennis player.
- Naomi Novik: American fiction writer.
- Naomi Judd: Was an American country music singer and actress. She passed away in April 2022.
Naomi: A beautiful and cheerful woman
Who doesn’t like to be called beautiful? This is what the name Naomi represents. In fact, girls bearing this name are considered to be sociable, friendly, and very family-oriented. In addition, they fight for unity and brotherhood among people and strive to mediate in times of conflict, while not tolerating injustice.
Now that you know its meaning, have you already decided on this name for your baby? Let us know in the comments!It might interest you...
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Orlando E. (2020). Los nombres propios. Instituto de Investigaciones Filosóficas. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. 153-180. Consultado el 20 de abril de 2023. https://ri.conicet.gov.ar/handle/11336/143755
- Enlow J. (2007). Glosario de nombres bíblicos. Vigésima primera edición. Estados Unidos: Editorial Mundo Hispano. https://books.google.es/books?hl=es&lr=&id=BZFlUZfafqYC&oi=fnd&pg=PA3&dq=nombres+b%C3%ADblicos&ots=d3DzhHWVcy&sig=V8fLWK8Qu9ypo3PvmJ_qiFpfUX4#v=onepage&q=nombres%20b%C3%ADblicos&f=false
- Heitzmann M. (1982). Nombres bíblicos en el santoral católico. Primera edición. España: Edicions Universitat de Barcelona. https://books.google.es/books?hl=es&lr=&id=Zm4QwssSPSgC&oi=fnd&pg=PA5&dq=nombres+b%C3%ADblicos&ots=BgsYbcrGum&sig=q1kxEXUCGww7FDVnry-sBxgFGZA#v=onepage&q=nombres%20b%C3%ADblicos&f=false
- Social Secutiry EE. UU. Popularidad del nombre Naomí. ssa.gov. Consultado el 20 de abril de 2023. https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi