5 Keys to Choosing a Mattress for Children
Your priority as a mother is the well-being and comfort of your child in all aspects of their life. This also means that when they go to bed, they should have the comfort they need for a relaxing and restful sleep. In this article, we’ll provide you with some keys to help you choose a mattress for children.
Children run and play a lot, therefore, their level of activity is high, and when the time comes to go to sleep, they require the comfort that a good mattress can provide them. Knowing how to choose one will be among your tasks if you want to give your child a quality rest. Let’s see some considerations to take into account when going out to buy a mattress for children!
Know the keys to choosing a mattress for children
The best mattress is the one where your child sleeps and rests well. However, when you go out to buy it, you should take into account some criteria that will help you decide. For example, in addition to comfort, it shouldn’t represent any risk for your child, meaning that it shouldn’t cause allergies, spinal problems, or sleep disturbances. Now, let’s discover some keys to choosing a mattress for children.
1. Choose the one that best suits their stage of growth
The characteristics that a good mattress for children should have will depend on the stage of growth they’re in. For example, if it’s a baby, you’ll need a crib mattress, and it’s essential that it’s firm, hypoallergenic, and hygienic, in addition to being made with organic materials and without contaminants. It’s common to get them made of natural latex or containing virgin wool or organic cotton to avoid the appearance of allergies.
But if instead of being a baby, your child is between 18 months and two years old, it’s likely that they’re so big that they no longer fit in their crib. This is the time to change beds and mattresses. In this case, it would be good to choose furniture that will serve them until they reach 10 or 12 years of age.
In this regard, during the first years of growth, it’s best that the firmness of the mattress is high because a soft one will make them sink in and adopt poor posture.
2. Choose a comfortable mattress
The most important thing to look for is a comfortable mattress for children because it’s the comfort level that will be decisive for their proper rest and healthy growth. Lack of sleep can cause irritability problems, lack of performance, and concentration difficulties. Therefore, a good mattress will be essential for proper rest.
3. Go for organic materials
Choose a natural latex or coconut fiber mattress for your child, which will guarantee its firmness. Also, make sure it contains natural wool or organic cotton, which will make it breathable, hypoallergenic, and offer good comfort. Also, there are those made with thermal fabric so that they don’t generate cold or heat. In addition, many have anti-mite treatments.
4. Decide on the type of mattress for children
The type of mattress you’re looking for will depend on what your child needs. For example, it could be spring or viscoelastic foam. Each of these types has its advantages.
- Pocket spring mattress: Allows greater breathability. In addition, pocket springs are springs that make up the structure of the mattress and are encapsulated independently, so they favor the adaptability of the child’s body to the mattress.
- Viscoelastic foam mattress: This is ideal if you’re looking for greater comfort. Viscoelastic foam is perfect for offering your child a very comfortable support surface.
5. Look at the right size for the bed
Before buying any mattress, you should look at the measurements. Choose the right size for the bed where you’re going to place it. It doesn’t have to have the thickness of an adult mattress, as those used for children are between 5 and 7 inches high.
Provide a comforting rest for your child
Resting well is vital for children because, while they sleep, the growth function is activated and their brain consolidates what they’ve learned during the day. For this and many other reasons, quality sleep is essential for children. Therefore, a good mattress adapted to their age and stage of development will be their great ally. Try to choose well so that your little one has the comforting rest they deserve.
All cited sources were thoroughly reviewed by our team to ensure their quality, reliability, currency, and validity. The bibliography of this article was considered reliable and of academic or scientific accuracy.
- Merino M, Álvarez A, Madrid J, Martínez M, Puertas F, Asencio A, Romero O, Jurado M, Segarra F, Canet T, Giménez P. Sueño saludable: Evidencias y guías de actuación. Revista de Neurología. 2016; 63 (2): 1-27. Disponible en: https://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/articulo?codigo=5796326
- Kanopa V. Sueño seguro, lactancia y colecho. Archivos de Pediatría del Uruguay. 2022; 93 (1). Disponible en: http://www.scielo.edu.uy/scielo.php?pid=S1688-12492022000101802&script=sci_arttext
- Canapari C. ¡Todos a dormir?: La guía del sueño reparador para bebés, niños y padres. Editorial Océano; 2020. Disponible en: https://books.google.es/books?hl=es&lr=&id=AvLPDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT13&dq=colch%C3%B3n+para+cama+de+ni%C3%B1os&ots=hjXx52Lkd5&sig=ODd8TB1a6Hi-yT4FY9EQ1PGVmtk#v=onepage&q=colch%C3%B3n%20para%20cama%20de%20ni%C3%B1os&f=false